MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #1
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Default how do i get this off?

i have oil leaking from the oil filler neck where you add oil to. is there a way i can take that off and replace the gasket (IF there is one)? Do I just twist it? Or can i place a sealant around the outside of the neck at the bottom? thanks i think it is coming out of thre pretty good.
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #2
TMASTER
Registered Member

Default rtv

try some RTV! clean off the area where your going to seal it good with paint thinner or alchohol or something like that, and put a bead of RTV on it, could be a quick fix... oh and let it dry for hours or so before you go and run it.
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 02:34 AM   #3
Dark Knight
Registered Member

you usually dont get an oil leak there..
sounds more like to much blow by or the PCV isnt working right..
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

yeah, i am about 90% sure it is coming from there. i will try the rtv stuff tomorrow. does the tube twist out of there, or do you have to replace the whole valve cover? thanks
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 06-16-2003, 07:15 AM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I think that tube is just pressed in... I dont think it comes out.... so.. with that... pull the valve cover and silicone the inside edge I guess.. rather then the outside cause that'll look crappy
-as
Old 06-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

i think i will try to do the outside first. SO, if/when that doesnt work, to pull the valve cover off, do i need to take apart the TB, or should it slide right out of there? is there anything i need to be aware of if i take this off. gaskets for the valve cover or anything? is it just the 4 or 5 bolts on the outside of it holding it on? thanks

ALSO, someone told me to buy the black RTV stuff becuase it is better against oil. any thoughts? thanks?

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 06-16-2003, 02:58 PM   #7
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

whatever works for you ... the black stuff is generaly HIGH TEMP the blue stuff is the NO SO HIGHT TEMP... it cant hurt to use the black... pulling the valve covers isnt too big a deal you can pull teh TB or pull the upper intake a whole.. eitherway its not hard just a pain. If you do pull the VC you can replace the gasket for cheap money I'm sure... sometimes you can reuse the gasket... a bead of silicone wouldnt hurt either...
-as

Last edited by ChunkFunky; 06-16-2003 at 03:03 PM..
ChunkFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

well, i bought the blue stuff since thats all they had. i cleaned it off with carb cleaner, then put some around that baby. i noticed when i went to take off the oil cap, the whole thing turned! so i turned it clockwise and it tightened up a bit. maybe it was loose or sdomething. i didnt know if i should use my finger to smooth it out, so i just left it like it was after going over it generously. it doesnt look as gay as i thought with my blue spark plug wires

hope it works, i will drive it in the morning to work!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 06-17-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

WELL, it leaked a little bit from the top, so i am a little disapointed. think if i shove some more inthe crevices where it leaked from it could stop it? OR should i strip that stuff off and buy the black stuff, or maybe it wouldnt make a difference. How do i strip it off if i want to? looks like taking off the valve cover involves a lot of things coming off. knowing me, i could take them off, but not know how to put it together. plus i would probably cause a new leak from the valve cover gasket or something!!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 06-17-2003, 08:15 AM   #10
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

the color of the silicone only has to do with teh temp rating I think.. so it's not like a better seal with one or the other... the blue stuff will be fine where you used it... though if you it does still leak then worst case pull the valve covers... it's not a hard job so much... just takes some time and patience... cause there's alot of stuff in teh way
-as
Old 06-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #11
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

hey chunk, why don't you make a road trip and we can polish this off in a few hours this weekend. im in newyork, only a few hours away! see you on
Friday
I will see how much it leaks and if it is a lot, i may try it sometime in the future. i just dont want to take off everything, then reassemble it, then have a new leak somewhere else!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 06-17-2003, 05:16 PM   #12
Simi Stang

Default rip it off

Quote:
Originally posted by 1jimmy__d
i just dont want to take off everything, then reassemble it, then have a new leak somewhere else!
Don't psyche yourself out there Jimmy. It's really easy. Now that you have a high performance motor...there's more chance that you'll be tuning and tweaking your current setup more often than the 'ol stang you had. And it's not like you are installing something that was never there before...like a supercharger or even removing the A/C. You will just have to remember, or label the bolts & nuts as you removed the throttle body & EGR spacer. It's really not that hard though, since you don't even need to pull your upper manifold to get to the passenger's side valve cover off. It would be a good entry level fix for you to kind of learn how the 5.0 motor goes together & the functions of the various different parts, etc. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:44 PM   #13
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Coincedentaly enough I'll eb in NY this weekend... my parents live on Long Island... so I have to go visit before I move to cali. though it's still an easy job... though like that other guy siad you shouldnt be leaking oil there.. for two reasons.. .there's a baffle under that filler next and the oil isnt under high pressue under the valve cover.. it just kinda squirts out at that point... you might have some OTHER issues ..
=-as
Old 06-18-2003, 10:41 AM   #14
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

well, it actually looks like it has stopped it for the most part. it did it that first time driving it, but i havent seen it wet since then, and i ragged the crap out of it yesterday! it does create a lot of vacuum though. do you know anyone who has the holley II kit that has does something to take care of the pressure build up? thanks for the information, your right, I should do this myself. if it continues to leak there, i think I will tackle it toward the end of the season- seeing as it will probably take me a few hours to do it! thanks again,

jim

75 shot of nitrous!