MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
NewAge 5.0
Registered Member

Default TFS KPI heads.. anybody heard of these?

anybody have these or heard of these.. lemme know
Old 11-04-2002, 04:12 AM   #2
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Man I hate guessing, but here is my best shot.

Trick Flow sells heads to speed shops and race shops all around the globe. Many of these are sold as bare units, so the shops end up selecting the valves, the valve guides, the valve seals, and the springs, retainers and locks.

I think kpi is probably a shop that offers this type of modified trick flow head. I know many shops offer a stage 1 2 or 3 head.

I hope this helps. I also hope I am not way off base.

By the way, I am using the TF Twisted Wedge Heads. I love these critters. The water jackets on these are absolutely the best. Excellent cooling with NO hot spots that I can find. I have been running them for 5-6 years. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

I have a local motorsport dealer in town that also likes the heads. I told him that I ported mine to the 1261 felpro gasket. This is a rather large increase in size. Almost the size of the 428 cobra jet head, which was almost identical to the medium riser 427 which made 425 hp with dual holleys. He pulled out some flow sheets for cfm at rated cam lift specifications. Man do these stock TW heads flow great. Ported like mine, they flow very close to a big block chevy head. Not quite as good as a racing Cleveland, but the Cleveland 4V head never was any good at low end torque.

Before the twisted wedge came out, trick flow was well known for its high port heads. These required custom made manifolds, so you did not see them except in racing circles. KPI might be the racer that launched the heads but this is an even weaker guess on my part.

Summit racing sells 4 versions of trick flow heads. The original twisted wedge, the street heat cnc ported twisted wedge, the Ford R twisted wedge head, and they are remaking an improved high port head.

If you want to go racing, I would recommend either the AR 205 head or the TF Ford R head. On a street fighter 427 short block, the TF R head made 641 hp on gasoline alone, and 800 hp on NOS. The AR 205 will net you a little extra HP, but I still prefer the excellent cooling and high quality of my Trick Flow Heads.

So now I will shut up and see what truth is disclosed about your question.