MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-01-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Question Need Help! Can anyone answer any of my questions?

ok... i replaced the bent valve... due to valve float.... and put on some double colied comp. cam springs. Now the valve i put in had been lapped so it could seal better, but i when i turned my car over to check the compression it was about 189 PSI in the cylinder and about 185 PSI in all the rest of the cylinders!!! I was really glad that the car had tat much compression, so i put the header on and hooked up everything then started the car.... it started ok(with some adjustment of timing) but the cylinder i replaced the valve in had a weird tick... now i know i did this right but my question is when valves are new like on a head do they tick until they wear in??? i heard that this is true but i want to get a second opinion by u guys! also when i checked the compression in the cylinder that was 189 PSI it dropped to 130 PSI and so did the rest of the cylinders. I was pissed, but my battery had been having trouble cranking over because it hasent charged up and it was cranking very slow.... now could a slow cranking cause the pressures to read lower???? Im so confused!! Also I jsut noticed that my Tachometer resets at 2000 rpm insted of 0 RPM!! How do i fix that??? to clear this up....
-Does a new valve tap until it wears in?
-Would a slow cranking cause compression to not be as high as the fast cranking?
-How can i fix the tach so it resets at zero instead of 2000 rpm? THANKS!!!!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
glenn95gt
Registered Member

most of the time when you step up to a stiffer spring, the valve train noise gets louder. It may go down, and it may not.
My Car
glenn95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Ok thanks glenn! Now im thinking that that NEW battery didnt get charged up so it wears out because i know my alt. is old so i am going to run a test on it.... does anyone know any answers to any of my other questions? THANKS!!
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Need Help! Can anyone answer any of my questions?

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokinStangGT

-Does a new valve tap until it wears in?
-Would a slow cranking cause compression to not be as high as the fast cranking?
-How can i fix the tach so it resets at zero instead of 2000 rpm? THANKS!!!!
-NO
-YES
-TURN THE ZERO SCREW

Seriously, when you put stiffer springs in, the valve train noise does get a little louder but if you have a tick in one valve, i'd say somethin's up.
As for cranking compression checks, yes if you turn the engine real slow it will read different. Cranking pressure is affected by cranking speed, ring condition, cam timing, whether you have all the plugs out, whether you are holding the throttle wide open. Generally speaking the most important thing is that the cylinders are all equal ... at least withing about 10% of each other. One being 189 compared to 185 is not unusual at all. If you have alot of valve overlap and duration with the cam you're using, you will have lower cranking compression (that does not mean you will have low compression). Static compression and cylinder pressure at speed are two different things.
As for the tach most of them have a zero screw somewhere, but first you should find out if you have some latent voltage on the tach wiring when the engine is off. Unplug it ... if it goes to zero you have another problem ... if the needle stays high then there should be a zero screw you can adjust somewhere.
Hope that helps ?
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 07:41 PM   #5
billheis
Registered Member

Did you check valve guide clearance whe nyou replaced the valve? Also did you replace the pushrod? Could be that it is slightly bent. Yes just as was explained in prvious post slow cranking speed will have lower reading.
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote