MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-01-2002, 08:24 PM   #1
Scrapla
Registered Member

Default Getting my tranny rebuilt

Well ive owned my stang for almost 6months now and i'm workin on my first t-5 rebuild now everyone I had teaching me and helpin me out with driving this car are crazy and have money so they can afford rebuilds and new trannys, I on the other hand cannot and i'm on a budget so what are some major do's and dont's when running with a new tranny, I think all those high speed 3rd to 2nd drops wernt to good but any other suggestions would be apreciated.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:58 AM   #2
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

ive been beating up on my t-5 for over a year and 40,000 miles and it still works fine

always use the clutch when shifting .....speed shifting just isn't worth the damage it causes ........if done properly you can shift allmost just as fast ,using the clutch without forcing it into gear .................takes lots of practice

when dropping down gears .......give the gas a quick blip ,raise rpms to sencronize the gears ,goes right in the lower gear

never force it in gear ........if your shifting properly it'll jump right in gear without using any muscle

my t-5 seems to like 5,600 rpm when going from first to second and going from second to third .........it'll shift at redline but it just seems to shift easier and smoother at that rpm ........after third i usually shift at redline

an adjustable clutch cable seemed to help mine .....the old self adjusting cable set up didn't seem to disengage the clutch as well ,making it tougher on the trans to shift

well good luck
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
drudis

What do I know........
I managed to break the TKO after only 6 opentrack days! DOH!
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

When rebuilding your T-5 remember you want to make it stronger than it was, not just get it working again. Replacing all the broken parts will get you going, but will not help any of the design limitations of the trans itself. Even the 90-93 models were only rated for 300 ft lbs of torque, the same as the peak rating of a HO 5.0. Add any engine mods, and trouble can occur. Some stock trans can really last for a while, some can blow out in 5,000 miles, I figure that is just good old production variances.

I went with a prof built T-5 built beyond the "z" specs which should last fine with my mild motor and lead foot.

A properly disengaging clutch is critical. You can kill a TKO by shifting with the clutch partiallly engaged.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:27 PM   #5
NYC1
Registered Member

you can shift gears without using the clutch???

GT 40 Intake
GT 40Y Aluminum heads
1.7 rockers, BBK Cold air
Fluidyne, BBK long tubes & H-Pipe
65mm TB
Al Driveshaft
Hurst Shifter
Cobra R hood
HPM Subframes
Control Arms

Future mods = Procharger and/or 331/347 Stroker, Turbo?

Rice Haters Club Member #77

FOR SALE:
Strut Tower Brace $30
NYC1 is offline   Reply With Quote