MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Default 5 lug conversion w/ 99 cobra wheels

what i am planning on doing is SVO rotors up front and a sn95 setup out back..car in question is a 89 lx..now i have read that the 99+ cobra wheels will not clear the dustcaps on the SVO/mark 7 rotors..they will only bolt right up to a SN95 assembly..i allready have the SVO rotors and 99 cobra wheels..i do not want to us ea 1/2" spacer like a suggesttion that will makwe it work..can i just crush in the dustcap till the 99 wheels fits????i dont care if it is rigging it..i dont feel like buying 94-95 spidle/rotors/calipers..thanks in advanced

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:38 PM   #2
88coupe
Registered Member

Maybe you could try putting a dust cap on the uninstalled 5 lug rotor and seeing how it fits on the wheel? I have 98 Cobra rims, im using the mark 7 rotors. Everything bolted up fine.
88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:36 PM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Default Re: 5 lug conversion w/ 99 cobra wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by LX XLR8R
what i am planning on doing is SVO rotors up front and a sn95 setup out back..car in question is a 89 lx..now i have read that the 99+ cobra wheels will not clear the dustcaps on the SVO/mark 7 rotors..they will only bolt right up to a SN95 assembly..i allready have the SVO rotors and 99 cobra wheels..i do not want to us ea 1/2" spacer like a suggesttion that will makwe it work..can i just crush in the dustcap till the 99 wheels fits????i dont care if it is rigging it..i dont feel like buying 94-95 spidle/rotors/calipers..thanks in advanced
alright here is the scoop since i have been there and done that. you cant use the SVO/Lincoln rotor on the 99 Cobra's except if you machine the hub(nose where the dust cap goes) into smaller diameter. its not the dust cap the prevents you, it the diameter of the hub. I too have the 99 Cobra's and did the same "cheap" conversion. i machine mine down on a brake lathe. it worked, BUT!!!! the dust cap sticks out of the center of the wheel and you cannot put your center cap on. if this doesnt bother you, then yes you can. just to let you know, you have to take off a schitload of material off the nose of the rotor to make it fit inside the center of the wheel. not all FMS wheels do this. i was told the Cobra R, 98 Cobra's(the ones that look like the R), 99 Cobra's and one other Ford wheel does.

you can get the front SN95 brakes(non cobra) with spindles and everything from a salvage yard around $150. look on Ebay. i see them for sale all the time and sometimes cheaper too. need more info? let me know. i have researched the brake upgrade options for the Fox for about a year now.

James...