MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
JoeDirt88
Registered Member

Default AOD "budget mods"

Hey guys- back after about 1 yearlong absence, and my post count is gone! Love the new additions to the site!

Anyway, I've changed a few things in my car, I now have an AOD with a mild shift kit installed, B&M 2400-stall converter, Dodge Ram HD Hemi Tranny cooler, (see- they're good for something!) and overall, I'm happy with the performance. Love to eat and drink in the car now!!!

I am looking to make a few upgrades to my car this spring, mainly a manual valve body, and a new auto shifter and 4:10 gears. (I'm running 3.73's right now) for some more push out of the hole. I have shaved P-heads, and a ported out Cobra lower, stock Cobra upper, and the car bogs out of the hole, then takes off.

I am on a budget, so a Lentech valve body is out of the question, I'm thinking about a TCI Street Fighter Manual Valve body, and a B&M P/N 81002 Mustang AOD-specific hammer shifter, probably also a B&M P/N 40263 Stage 2 Street & Strip shift kit.

Thoughts? Is there anything else I should consider? I need to keep it under $500, and I can get this stuff total for $425 from Summit. I need to have my 4:10's installed yet, and get some other miscellaneous non-car-related things, so I need to keep it down.

***Also- how much hassle is it to change the speedo gear to a 23 tooth? I think when we installed the AOD, we just stuffed the t-5 gear in the tailshaft, and knowing it'll self-destruct sooner or later, it's still going a year later... (???)

Thanks!
Speeeeeed Density!
Ported Cobra intake
P heads
P headers
prochamber h-pipe
flowmaster louds
AOD with B&M 2400 converter
5-Speed 3.73's- need Auty 4.10's!!!
RR's, CAI, etc, etc...
Smogless engine bay
Nitto Drag Radials
and... NEW BLACK CARPET!!!

5-Speed ran 12.70's
AOD ran 13.20's

Last edited by JoeDirt88; 05-01-2005 at 10:04 PM..
JoeDirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: AOD "budget mods"

I would put an a+ servo in it to try and pro-long the trans life. I think the shifter would be great for the fun factor, but not sure it would be worth the money in the performance factor category. A good shift kit is gonna do the shifting for you anyway. When you go with the manual valve body, then I would worry about the shifter.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
JoeDirt88
Registered Member

If I do it, I will definitely get the valve body, and the shifter, so as not to need to do the D-1-D shift anymore to hold gears. I'd also like to hold the trans gears while just driving normally, my tranny does not have the quick 2-3 slip shift yet, it holds quite well, but I'd like to keep it from starting to do that. I also do not like how easily it wants to start in 2nd gear, and drop to 1st so quickly on startup. I'm a converted stick guy- I like the control...

What exactly will the servo do to prolong my trans life- not too farmiliar with the AOD yet... (?)

Thanx!
JoeDirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
grey88gt
Registered Member

I would suggest changing the input shaft also. I know a few ppl that have broken them on hard launchs. Just my 2 cents. Iam still learning about them as well.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Well, the A+ servo is something you can change while the tranny is in the car, while you have the valve body out playing with what ever shift kit you buy. This servo is much stronger (better spring) and helps the tranny shift/hold fourth gear stronger. Since 4th is what most people burn out of the AOD, for around 70-100 bucks it is a little extra help.

I have heard the input shaft is a good upgrade also, although I did not do it with mine.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote