MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
whytry89
Registered Member

Default cam help and combo

guys i have a 89 lx with a 160,00 mile motor in it runs strong but startins to smoke . has flowtech shortie headers , fenderwell cold air ,bbk off road h pipe ,flowmasters,373s and i ran across a 92 motor with 100,000 on it

im goinmg to do stock rebuild on the bottom end use stock pistons and heads maybe home port them

what is the biggest 303 cam i can use with stock valve springs could i use them asll but the x-303? im going to ge a set of heads later im going to go with a trickflow,cobra, or typhoon intake

has anyone used the typhoon intake any comments

what about the trick flow cams
whytry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Re: cam help and combo

Quote:
Originally posted by whytry89
guys i have a 89 lx with a 160,00 mile motor in it runs strong but startins to smoke . has flowtech shortie headers , fenderwell cold air ,bbk off road h pipe ,flowmasters,373s and i ran across a 92 motor with 100,000 on it

im goinmg to do stock rebuild on the bottom end use stock pistons and heads maybe home port them

what is the biggest 303 cam i can use with stock valve springs could i use them asll but the x-303? im going to ge a set of heads later im going to go with a trickflow,cobra, or typhoon intake

has anyone used the typhoon intake any comments

what about the trick flow cams
I definately think, if you indeed are going to get heads later on, that the trick flow cams would be a better choice than the alphabet cams. I have the B303, and I saw little to no gains with it. It just makes my car idle like a beast.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

The smallest trick flow cam puts out .499/.510 lift with 1.6 rockers. We put a F303 in a stock 302 in my other hatch. Stock E7's and springs. It runs fine except for it floats at 5400. The only reason I went ahead and put it in was because we are getting some heads soon and it is easier to put the cam in with the motor out. A lot less work to do all at once. If I were you, and determined to run the E7's, I would upgrade the springs. The last thing you want is to be racing with a cam that makes all its power at the rpm after you reach the valve float. I.E. the f cam makes its power at 3500+ and the peak is at 6500 (I think). The valves float at 5400. So it is almost useless without good spings at least. BTW, the f cam is .512/.512 with 1.6 rockers.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

IMHO, get a custom grind. Always get a custom grind. Why do you want to get a cam that some other jackass down the street has? The FRPP cams are great, but when you plan on going with different heads and such, you really start to limit your performance. Get something for the way your drive and the way you want the car. I've got a .512 lift, 280 dur, and 110 lobe sep.

That makes my car a flat out beast, but I'm not happy with it. It falls on it's face at about 5400. It's great on the street, but at the track, it's a slug. I've got to sit down and plan which cam I want to go with next. (as far as lift, duration, lobe center, lobe seperation, etc).

Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Hope to have helped. Later.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote