MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-17-2002, 09:28 PM   #1
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Default Which Mufflers ????

I need to get new mufflers seeing as the other one fell off and there is nothing after the h-pipe (its louder than I thought too).

I am thinking of getting Dynomax Ultra Flows or the MAC Pro Dumps that I think come with Flowtech mufflers. The nice thing about the MAC system is I can bolt it right up to the h-pipe (I believe) and don't have to piece things together as I would have to with the Dynomax.

But, I have a feeling the Dynomax is the better muffler. Unfortunately, money is an issue too, so I need things to be kind of reasonable. I need a new off-road H-pipe as well, but that might have to wait a few months until I have some money.

Back to the subject. Any suggestions on mufflers.

Thanks
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:53 PM   #2
Girls can too
Registered Member

For a Fox body, my preference will forever be the 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers. They run approx. $66 each, cheaper even if found online. I've run the Flows from 199 to 500 rwhp and I will never change. Not too mention they're a trademark sound for the Fox's too. There are many who are straying away from them because they are the "norm". It's good to be different sometimes, but why change something that's always been so great?

I used to run MAC parts and was never satisfied with them. Mainly because of their fit...or lack there of. I've replaced everything with BBK (i.e. headers, h-pipe). Much better by far.

Either way good luck to ya!

550 HP Blown & Beautiful GT
www.NicandBob.com
Girls can too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 07:07 PM   #3
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlscan2
For a Fox body, my preference will forever be the 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers. They run approx. $66 each, cheaper even if found online. I've run the Flows from 199 to 500 rwhp and I will never change. Not too mention they're a trademark sound for the Fox's too. There are many who are straying away from them because they are the "norm". It's good to be different sometimes, but why change something that's always been so great?

I used to run MAC parts and was never satisfied with them. Mainly because of their fit...or lack there of. I've replaced everything with BBK (i.e. headers, h-pipe). Much better by far.

Either way good luck to ya!
I haven't heard good things about most MAC products too, but the Pro Dumps don't have that reputation.

Yeah, I started out with 3 chamber flowmasters, then one fell off. You would think it would sound bad like that, but it had a real unique almost race car sound to it.

I was thinking about 2 chambers, but I wanted to try something different and I like the fact that the MAC system will bolt right in and has the dumps and other pipes already welded on.

I'm still undecided though.?.? I am not looking for a catback though. I want the mufflers to end before the axel.

Old 05-26-2002, 05:47 PM   #4
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Just bringing this baby back TTT.

Old 05-26-2002, 06:09 PM   #5
1BAD302
Registered Member

What about Borla? they have a really nice sound and not everyone has them. Personally I have the 2 chamber flows with an offroad pipe and i love it.

Rice Haters club member #29

Stereo - 2/1000watt 12" MTX subs; Kenwood 1000watt amp; Pioneer 4/ 50watt deck
1BAD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:26 PM   #6
1hot5.0
Registered Member

I have a friend who has 3 chamber flows on his fox, and they sound great. I personally would go for the two chamber flows, as the 3 chambers were a little to quiet for my liking. They are pretty cheap from what I can see too. I cant go off of personal experience, as I am still shopping for a fox body.. Just going by what I think based off of my friends 3 chambers on his car. Good luck...

-Jason
1hot5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:39 PM   #7
USMC302
Registered Member

My vote is for the Flowmasters, I have heard the Dynomax makes a couple horses more in power, but if you have ever heard the two, I would sacrafice the 2 horses for the sounds anyday, the flows have my vote, I run them on all three of our cars!
Old 05-27-2002, 02:15 PM   #8
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I have Flowtech Stinger cat-back and i'm surprised because it actually turns head (usually after i pass) at part throttle. It's a subtle but noticable exhaust because it's relatively quiet but i think the exhaust tone is AWESOME. At full throttle it screams and part throttle it has a low blurble type sound that's pretty cool sounding (my dad drove it and it sounds good as a spectator).
I didn't know that MAC used flowtech mufflers, but it's not surprising since every one of their products is just a relabled product from somebody else.
Don't buy MAC's '79-'93 windage tray for 302's! All it is, is the Ford Racing Tray for the Boss 302 (front sump pan) which i had to EXTENSIVELY modify for use on my car. I had to clearance it so i could even put the nuts on to retain it and i had to put a small dent in one part of it so the oil pan would clear it.
I'm done with my rant, but the moral is i'm happy with my flowtech's and i'm glad i bought them. I actually prefer the tone over Flowmasters, but that's just me.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 04:15 PM   #9
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

2 chamber flowmasters get my vote. I have 'em connected to an off road h pipe, ending before the axle. Pretty F@#$$&* loud!
Old 05-27-2002, 10:35 PM   #10
429mustang
Registered Member

A real man would go with the deltaforce single-chamber flowmasters!
Old 05-27-2002, 10:39 PM   #11
Js90Lx

Ive had flows, mac, dynomax. Flows do sound good though Mac are much deeper. I had both of those with off-road h pipes and off road x pipes. They sound better with h pipes. I then decided to let loose and put some xtra money into the system. I got the dynomax ultraflo ss catback, ss bassani off road x, and bassani equal length headers. I love it soo much more than any of those combinations quality, sound, fit are all excellent. Though for an h pipe exhaust system i would go mac I never had but one bad quality issue with there catbacks and it wasnt that bad just a little rust.