MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2002, 05:29 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Started hearing a funny noice...HELP

I just bought a 93 GT with a powerdyne s/c on it. I've been having a lot of fun with it, but started hearing a noice last night. It is a metal grinding sound, almost like the sound disk brakes make to warn you that they need to be replaced. I tried to figure out where the noice is coming from, and I think it's coming from near the s/c. I had to cancel today's trip to the track because of it. The noise is made usually when the engine is under a load, although if I lightly step on the brake when the noise is being made, it stops . If anyone has experienced this, please suggest something. Thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default ttt

No one?

Old 11-23-2002, 07:27 PM   #3
drtbiker
Registered Member

i had a intake gasket leak and sound like that once but i doubt that is your problem
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:34 AM   #4
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

how loud is the noise? Where exactly is it coming from?
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 03:43 AM   #5
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

How old is the Powerdyne? I remember hearing that older models had a problem with an internal belt slipping.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

I have no idea of how old the s/c is. I bought the car from a dealer, who never really drove it. He also had no idea of how old most of the parts were. I had an idea this weekend as to what it might be. I noticed the noise pretty much only comes on when I'm around 3000 rpm's and when I'm in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear. It has made noise without me even being on the gas though, when I was just barely driving down my street. Can this be a sign that the throw-out bearing is going bad? I also will smell a burning smell, like burning rubber, when I stomp on the gas and accelerate (NO, it's not the back tires from burning out), usually at about 60 mph. My friend suggested that could be the clutch burning up. The noise isn't that loud, and it's hard to be sure of where the noise is coming from exactly because it ppretty much only makes it when the car's under a hard load. I think it;s coming from the pass side of the engine bay (if that helps at all ) Any suggestions? Thanks, Keith

Old 11-25-2002, 01:02 PM   #7
USMC302
Registered Member

The burning rubber smell could be coming from a slipping belt as Highflo50 mentioned. The throwout bearing would make noise when you engage the clutch, not when you give it gas.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:16 PM   #8
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default How would I go about tightening the belt?

Can I pull the cover off and tighten it, or have someone experienced do the work? There is also a grinding sound that I occasionally here, any suggestions as to what that might be? I don't know if this makes a difference, but I looked at my serp. belt this weekend and it's all cracked, about 1 crack every centimeter. This might be the burning smell, but that still doesn;t explaing the grinding sound. Thanks, Keith

Old 11-25-2002, 02:33 PM   #9
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

You said it sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, correct? Now isn't that the side the supercharger is on? I'm still pretty sure its an internal belt problem with the Powerdyne. Do a search on a some of the mustang message boards about the problem, see what you come up with. Or even give powerdyne a call, see what they say about belt slipping. I would replace the serp belt if its cracked, you don't want one of those snapping while your miles from home!

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:36 PM   #10
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Yes, that's where the s/c is

I am hoping it's not the S/C, but I'll call Powerdyne and see what they say. I just don't understand where I'm getting that metal grinding noise if it is a loose belt. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks, Keith

Old 11-25-2002, 03:09 PM   #11
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default I called powerdyne

I was told to take the external belt off, then take the inlet off. Once both are off, I am supposed to turn the impeller by hand (from the back) and see if I hear anything. I was told that if there's a metal grinding noise, it's the impeller rubbing. If it's the belt that's slipping, they have to fix it which sucks! I'm going to take the new serp. belt I have on my 88 and switch it with the serp. belt on my 93, and see if I still smell a burning rubber smell. If that's the culprit, I'll be happy. If not, then I think I'm not going to have any other choice but to take the s/c off and bring it to Powerdyne to have them take a look at it. I'll definately keep you guys updated, later, Keith

Old 11-25-2002, 03:38 PM   #12
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

its' prolly your throwout bearing. even if your belt goes bad on the highway..(the supercharger belt) it's not gonna matter. You can still drive the car normal without the supercharger belt. you just want have the supercharger performance.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:40 PM   #13
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

damn me. sorry keith..don't know why i said throut bearing..my bad man. I was thinking about something else. So ignore the part about the bearing.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:04 PM   #14
Mustanguy

Cool

yup,if it was ME,I would take the blower apart and check the internal belt,they have been known to break.

They do make replacement belts tho
Old 11-25-2002, 08:05 PM   #15
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Yes, they do make internal belt replacements, but...

They have to do the work. The people at powerdyne said they don't sell any replacement parts, except for the external belt and a smaller pulley. Thanks for the replies, I may just have to take my new car to Powerdyne and have them check it out. Take care, Keith

Old 11-26-2002, 03:13 AM   #16
The Deuce
Registered Member

You best have one of those heaps running this weekend, because by the spring you ain't gonna have a chance.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:57 PM   #17
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Well, I took the impeller and belt off and...

I didn't hear anything. There were not any signs that the impeller was rubbing either. I am stumped now. I pin-pointed the noise before shutting the car off, well somewhat. The noise is coming from the right side, near the s/c and only makes noise around 2500 rpm's and up, and continues to make it whether I am slowing down or not. Even when I was stopped, I revved (sp) the car up to 2500 rpm's while in neutral, it still made the metal grinding noise. Can the impeller be rubbing from the other side(front)? Could it just be that the belt is slipping? The noise got bad today during lunch, so it's now taken apart at home. If I take the front cover off is there anything that will fall out? Thanks, Keith

Last edited by Kamaro Killer; 11-26-2002 at 06:15 PM..
Old 11-27-2002, 04:39 PM   #18
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default update

I pulled the external belt off the front of the s/c and drove without the s/c, and there wasn't any noise at all. I ran it over 2500 rpm's on several stretches of road and didn't hear a thing. I called Powerdyne (which actually has good, friendly cust. svs.) and explained the situation to them and they are going to have to look at it. For now, I have a stock mustang again, it's a wierd feeling not having the boost I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Later, Keith

Old 11-27-2002, 06:54 PM   #19
Mustanguy

Cool

Thanks for the update,

it'll be interesting to see what they find as it does sound like it's inside of the blower,I'm thinking it's prolly the internal belt