MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2005, 05:04 AM   #1
PonyCrazy
Registered Member

Default Stang gurus, help a kid out

couple prably simple questions to you, id like to know answers to.

How hard is it to switch an original FI car to a carb? What parts do i need? how difficult is it? Is it gonna be ultimatly better to just buy an orign. carbed car?

What is a good disk brake/rotor set up to run with a fox body 5.0 with not extreme mods, but some? is there a certain combo i can follow for better stoping power?

What is a good tire size combo for the front and rear in a before mention fox body?

What is a better automatic trans for the formention fox body? Aod? what?

Thats all i can think of now, prably have more as time goes by. Thanks
TJ
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: Stang gurus, help a kid out

You have come to the right place. Check this site out too. And check out this link too. here Hope this helps you out on the swap info. I haven't tried any of the aftermarket brake setups so I can't help you there. Are you asking about street tire setups? I like 15" and 16" wheels so my tire suggestions are different than others who like the big wheels. Right now I got 215/65/15's and when they wear out, I plan on getting some 255/55 or so. There have been numerous debates about transmissions on this board. Personally, I'd rather have a C4. But the AOD can be built to handle some serious power. Just look at Lentech's site.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #3
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

I just went through an efi to carb swap, and everybody on here was very helpful, so I'll pass the knowledge on to you. I converted a new engine from efi to carb, which was easy since the old motor was carbed anyway, it's going to be more difficult converting the efi bodied car over since you dont have the carbed components.

1 The Engine- You will need a carb (obviously), carbed intake manifold, vaccum advance distributor, with a bronze or steel dist. gear, (an iron one will tear the forged steel roller cam up), possibly a new accelerator cable/mechanism, A new ignition module, (I reccomend the duraspark 2 unit), and maybe a new ignition coil (not sure). I think that's about it for the engine.

2 Body- You will need to take out the in tank high flow fuel pump and replace it with a carbed pickup 100$ (I think there is a way to make one out of brake line though), and you'll need either a mechanical fuel pump and mechanical pump engine timing cover and a cam eccentric, or you could just buy an electric low pressure in-line fuel pump with fuel pump relay, (I found that to be a lot easier for me than converting to a mechanical pump)

I think that is everything, of course you are going to have to tear all of the efi stuff off, and figure out how to wire up the carbed ignition system properly, a shop manual will help you out there. I hope this helps you, and anyone correct me if I missed anything.
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

To make a fuel tank pickup, get a piece of 5\16" brake line about 12" long. At autozone, it was the shortest I could get. You'll need a tubing cutter, small hose clamps, and some 5/16" fuel hose. I actually used the piece of hose that is already on the stock electric pump. I can't tell you exactly how long your tube will need to be, because I did not measure mine when I was done. But for a starting point, I stuck a tape measure down in the tank and measured to the lid where the sending unit mounts to the tank. Cut one end of the brake line off so you can get the fittings off the line. You will not use these fittings. Stick the unflared end of the line in the rubber hose still on the stock sending unit and clamp it with a hose clamp. Then, measure from the top of the sending unit to "X" length and that is about where you need to cut the line off. You want it to be a little short but you don't want it too far off the bottom of the tank either. I think mine is about 1/8" from the bottom of the tank. Put your brake line a little deeper in the hose than you normally would, so if you want to you can make your pickup deeper. This will cost about $5 and 15 minutes to make and it works like a charm. I did not use a fuel tank filter, but I do have two fuel filters too.

If you need any help with this swap, please feel free to pm me.