MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2002, 05:49 PM   #1
11secondGT
Registered Member

Default blown head gaskets!!!! (read)

I want to get some thoughts on this. I used to run the fel pro loc wire head gaskets on the car wich is a trick flow headed, cam'd and intake (all unported) with a vortech s trim and 10 pounds of boost. Anyway, I blew 2 sets of these gaskets in 2 years and started to hear that they weren't the best design. I decided to go with the solicor ultra seals wich are designed for boost and 4 pass's later all in the low 11 high 10 range and cylinder 7 to 8 is blown again. I know the heads are straight because I just had them machined.

What i am thinking is it is to lean. I check the plugs and they looked pretty good. The number 5 was a little whitish. I run 30 ilb injectors and 85 pounds of fuel preasure on them. Is this enough for a car that runs 10.80's on drag radials at 127 mph. Being that it is blowing from 7 to 8 i think it is a lean condition. I run a msd boost retard and pull about 5 to 10 degrees out with base timing at 10 degrees.

Regardless, I think it is time to step up to the cartech staqe 2 or 3 system with some 50 ilb injectors and see what happens. I plan on adding the fuel system anyway but I just don't want to do all this and still find that there is another problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!!

Ian

11secondGT.com

Ian
Cam'd, headed, blown and Broke
11secondGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:26 PM   #2
91GTturbo
Registered Member

I'm running 30's now and I'm leaning out with only 6 lbs of intercooled boost. I'm stepping up too 36's and should be in the mid 400 rwhp range once I get it tuned. To run 10.80's, unless your car is really light, you have to be around the 480-500 rwhp mark. That's way too much for 30's, no wonder your blowing gaskets. I'm really surprised you haven't melted a piston to be honest with you. You didn't say whether or not your running an fmu? I'm assuming you are since your running 85 lbs of fuel pressure. I would definately get rid of the 30's and look into some 42's and no fmu if I were you. A buddy of mine made 494 rwhp and 536 ft/lbs or torque running 42's. His car so far has run 10.82 at 129, so that's right where you are. Oh, and he only runs a single GSS340 in-tank pump. I would also look into upgarding the fuel rails too.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:15 PM   #3
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

Thats exactly why I use Copper head gaskets,had them on 3 engines,no problems. This lastest engine is Carb'ed and has 12.5:1 compression.....just my thoughts...
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50
1987 SC GT ( fast as hell)
2001 Powerstroke Tow Vehicle 1989 Coupe.

Sometimes when you cry,no one sees your tears..........
Sometimes when you are happy,no one sees your smile.........
But,FART just ONE time..........
JaxTheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:57 PM   #4
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default 42# injectors...

I agree that you should be running at least 42lb injectors with your combo.
That's what I am putting in now and I am only running 8lbs of boost with an S-trim.
IMO FMU's are too temperamental. You invariably run rich or lean with them.
A custom chip is the best way to go IMO.
I'll post numbers and specs on my combo late next week.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 04:48 PM   #5
11secondGT
Registered Member

Default okay

I know that just copper gaskets won't solve the problem. Sure the gasket won't blow but the piston will melt or somthing else. so I'm thinking the cartech stage 2 fuel system and the 50 ilb injectors from dallas mustang. I'll have the pro m recalibrated and then what. Should I run the copper head gaskets being that this car almost never sees street duty. What if any mods do I have to do to run the copper head gaskets. I am kinda leary of the chip burning because this car isn't where I wan't it to be. Once I get the fuel gasket situation under control I want to add some more boost and get a little quicker. If i have a chip burned now and then add more boost I will have to have another one burned right!

11secondGT.com

Ian
Old 08-27-2002, 04:55 PM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Just remember that those injectors have to power your car to get down the track plus the 30% it takes to get the boost in the first place. 30's are way too small IMO. I'd go with atleast 42's. I think the stock fuel rails are good to 600 HP.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:15 PM   #7
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Default Re: okay

Quote:
Originally posted by 11secondGT
I know that just copper gaskets won't solve the problem. Sure the gasket won't blow but the piston will melt or somthing else. so I'm thinking the cartech stage 2 fuel system and the 50 ilb injectors from dallas mustang. I'll have the pro m recalibrated and then what. Should I run the copper head gaskets being that this car almost never sees street duty. What if any mods do I have to do to run the copper head gaskets. I am kinda leary of the chip burning because this car isn't where I wan't it to be. Once I get the fuel gasket situation under control I want to add some more boost and get a little quicker. If i have a chip burned now and then add more boost I will have to have another one burned right!

As far as the copper headgaskets, never tried them. My buddy's car I mentioned, mine, and most of the turbo and supercharged guys I know run the Felpro 9333pt1 or the 8548pt2. Both seem to work really well.

As far as the chip goes, have it burnt on the dyno. Once you get the pulley you need to make the kind of boost you want and get the fuel system worked out, have it burnt while on the dyno. Any good shop can optimize your combo with a good wide band monitoring system and burn you a chip right them and there. In most cases, a good shop can usually pull alot more hp out of your combo than you can making guesses and trying things at the track or on the street. And when on the dyno, if it starts to run lean, they can see it and shut the car down before it blows a gasket or worse.

Oh, I think the 50's are overkill. The 42's will have better street manners and you can make enough power with them to split the factory block in two anyway. Unless your running a Dart block or a R302, I'd wouldn't get the 50's. Just my opinion .
Old 08-27-2002, 05:31 PM   #8
jimberg
Registered Member

Are you still running with the heads that are machined for the O-ringed gaskets? If you are, I hope you know that once you get those heads machined you are ALWAYS supposed to use those gaskets.

What do you have for a fuel system now? Fuel pump, fuel rails, etc.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:53 PM   #9
11secondGT
Registered Member

I had the heads machined and the loc wire grooves are gone. That is when I switched head gaskets to the ultra seals. I am running a 190 lph in tank with a vortech t rex pump and the car will hold 85 ilbs of preasure all the way down the track! I am now realizing that the 30 are to small.

As far as the 50 ilb injectors and street manners, I really don't drive it on the street so driveability isn't a big concern. You say the 42 ilb injectors support enough horse to crack a stock block, but in the future the car will get a dart, a4, or R block. I don't want to have to keep upgrading injectors every year. I plan on this car being somewhere in the nines on a drag radial and I think the 50 ilb injectors might be the way to go.

Thanks for all the info and keep it coming!!

11secondGT.com

Ian
Old 08-27-2002, 08:54 PM   #10
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 11secondGT
As far as the 50 ilb injectors and street manners, I really don't drive it on the street so driveability isn't a big concern. You say the 42 ilb injectors support enough horse to crack a stock block, but in the future the car will get a dart, a4, or R block. I don't want to have to keep upgrading injectors every year. I plan on this car being somewhere in the nines on a drag radial and I think the 50 ilb injectors might be the way to go.

Thanks for all the info and keep it coming!!
If your planning on the R or Dart blocks, then definately get the 50's. Sounds like your headed in the right direction. Good luck with it.