MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
pinale69
Registered Member

Default AOD to T5 conversion

Hi, I'm a newbie here and have a few questions that you guys can probably answer for me. I have a '90 LX 5.0 and I burned out that damn O/D band for the fourth time in 6 months and before it was under warranty from the place that rebuilt it, but now that its out of warranty I have to drive around without any o/d and with the 3.55 lsd I put on it revs pretty high on the freeway, so I want to just convert to 5 speed.
I found a junkyard that has a trans and bellhousing out of an early 90s 5.0 and a complete '88 2.3. So my plan is to pull the pedals, crossmember, shiftboot with the plastic peice and the connectors for the back-up lights and stuff out of the 2.3.
Now my question is, what else do I need (I know I need a flywheel and clutch, but I'll find that somewhere else) but, am I going to need the plate that goes between the motor and bellhousing? if so, will the one out on the 2.3 fit? will the crossmember from the 2.3 fit? Do I need the bolts that mount the bellhousing, or will the only ones from my AOD work? Will the clutch fork from the 2.3 fit?
I know this post is getting a bit long, and I'm sorry about that, but tomorrow I'm going with my old F150 to the junkyard to get everything, and I want to get everything I need in one shot.
One last thing, I put a ford motorsports aluminum driveshaft on a while back, will it fit? if not, is there a way to have it cut or welded to fit? and if that doesn't work, will the driveshaft off the 2.3 work?
thanks a bunch
Danny
pinale69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Roket
Registered Member

i would get all the gear from a 5speed v8 car. I did mine and it was easy. Youhave to relocate the speenometer cable to left a bit and put the cluch cable through the old speedo hole. any clutch brake assembly will work. U need a v8 flywheel (5speed) and the bolts should work for the bellhousing. The clucth fork should be from a v8. Plate between motor and tranny will be the same as the aod. I got all my stuff from a v8 car so i knew it would work. your aluminum driveshaft will work fine too. If u have any other questions, just pm me
Roket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:48 AM   #3
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

How did you burn out the OD 4 times in just 6 months? I had my AOD rebuilt a year ago and have had no problems since. Did you run a high stall converter with no cooler or something? Or did you do the 1-D-1 shuffle 24/7?

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote