MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2002, 03:06 PM   #1
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

Default Stretched clutch cable

I just replaced my stock 10" clutch with a 10.5" king cobra clutch. Everything is new except for the clutch cable. I have driven the car and everything seems to operate ok. But the pedal feels very light. I was expecting it to be heavier than the stock one but it feels lighter. Is this normal? This is my first time replacing a clutch and I am unsure what to expect. As far as play in the pedal I can push it down about 1.5 to 2" before I get good tension. As far as engagement when I push the pedal in to the floor I can feel it start to grab after coming up 2 to 3."
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i'd say you are ok as long as it is fully engaging and disengaging.

But I'd seriously think about a new one soon. Go for a good non-adjustable cable, and use it with a firewall adjuster.

I wouldnt reccomend steeda adjustable cables to anyone, mine snapped and it was about 8 months and 5000miles old
Old 03-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
bbutcher85710
Registered Member

Default 10.5 inch clutch swap

I am having the same problem with my 85 GT 5.0. I replaced the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing with a 1986 stock model and the cable seems too long. My stock plastic quadrant would sometimes slip, so I took it off and drilled it to install bolts to lock it. I rotated it to the limit and locked it in place. I replaced the cable with an adjustable one, and it is at the limit of its adjustment and barely tight enough. The clutch pedal pressure is very high, and the clutch releases near the bottom of pedal travel.

I suspect there is a difference in the throw-out bearing length or the clutch release arm. If you find the problem, please share with me and I will do the same.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Scrapla
Registered Member

When I replaced my stock clutch with the 10.5 king cobra I also added an adjustable firewall adapter from UPR and it works great you just need a little tweeking and you can get it perfect I belive the proper space for the pedal is once its 2" inches off the floor it should engage.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
sgwinn
Registered Member

i had my clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing replaced and got a new cable too. However, it does not fully disengage and is oftentimes hard as heck to get into gear at a full stop. grinds some going into first and reverse. (downshifting is not a good idea) pedal has to be all the way to the floor, and engages almost immediately from the floor. can the cable be adjusted in the quadrant to make it disengage fully when depressed? thanks.
signed,
the grinder