MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
cucho
Registered Member

Default AOD vs T5

Im just want to know if i change my T5 ( 12.70 and 1.66 60 ft.), for a AOD with a 2500 stall my car is gone a run much slower. Also the AOD came in the 4 and 6 cyl. mustangs? if there is the same ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stang 2.jpg (40.4 KB, 18 views)
cucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Please don't consider doing that... The thought makes me feel sick..
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
cucho
Registered Member

The thing is that i have the oder stang running 11.51, and my street stang is no longer in the tracks, so i juts thinking in turning into the auto trany just to have more confort in the street,im gone a keep the 4.10 and the same engine. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Quote:
Please don't consider doing that... The thought makes me feel sick..
Nuff said! I thought every car nut liked banging through the gears even on the street. I know it gets old sometimes, but I never get tired of it enough to put an auto in my car.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

I'm a car nut if there ever was one and I slaved behind 3 failing t-5's before I finally broke down and went AOD. It will slow down the car down mostly in the low gears UNLESS you trade in that 2500 stall for a 3K-3.5k lockup stall and get a shift kit. Then it will be roughly the same if you footbrake it to simulate dumping the clutch. You'll need to step up 2 gear ratios to have the same feel from the rearend. Why? Becuase the t-5 gobbles about 15% of your hp and an aod about 20% so you need extra torque multiplication to gain it back.

But...now you can kick much *ss with one arm out the window or holding a cup of coffee. You can play with the radio during acceleration and (this was the crux for me) when you're dog tired at night driving back from somewhere half asleep, you only have to concentrate on the steering the car and keeping a foot on the pedal= convenience.

The reason automatics have such a bad reputation is becuase the factory automatics all have ABSURDLY low stall converters in them so they are very sluggish. They start pulling at 1200 rpms where the engine is not making any power. If you were to drop a 3.5k stall into a stock AOD, it would be a completely different beast. It would spool up to 2k to 2.5k first and then apply the engine to the tranmission, the same as you would do with your manual.

Likewise, the factory automatics shift slow, with lots of overlap and clutch slippage so that grandma, uncle bob and joe the lawyer dont get whiplash and sue ford. The problem with modern designs is that they are too tame and made with all consumer taken into consideration, not just enthusiast population. To remedy this, you change the valvebody on the AOD out to something a lot more aggressive (lentech or transgo), it will shift instantly with almost no overlap and slippage (improving the life of your automatic). It feels like a BANG and you'll feel the hit when it shifts. You'll be too busy going WEEEE to notice.

BTW, for the purpose of completeness, you'll need to get a trans cooler. It's a must with non stock converters. The transmission crossmember is different between the T5 and AOD so you'll need that and the driveshaft is different only becuase there is a weight on the end for the AOD version. Just get a FMS aluminum and you're all set. You'll need to pop off the pilot bearing from the back of the crank and get an AOD flexplate and a blockplate (that aluminum dust shield on the bellhousing). You'll also need the shifter obviously and make sure to obtain the TV cable. THIS IS A MUST or the AOD will last about 5 miles before it burns out. Plus this baby weighs over 200 lbs so no hand lifting the transmission out like with the T-5: you'll need a lot of scissors jacks or a couple hydraulic jacks if you aim to do this yourself. You can get all the parts from a junkyard and a $300 tci streetfighter (about 3k stall). Total is $7-800

I hope this helps!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
cucho
Registered Member

Hey crazypete what is that TV CABLE that the AOD needs to not burn, and also what shifter fit the original consol of my 84 stang, i saw a hammer shifter but i dont know.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
crazypete
Registered Member

The older AOD that were not computer controlled had a throttle cable that attached to the throttle lever so the transmission would know how much load the engine was under. This lever controlled shift points and also line pressure for holding the clutches in place. This is why you would toast your AOD if you dont hook up the throttle cable. The transmission would operate at minimum pressure even if you had the pedal to the floor. The clutches would continuously slip and grind away until the transmission would be permenently in neutral. I a guy who burnt out his "new" AOD in an afternoon.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote