MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2004, 06:30 AM   #1
Red5Ltr
Registered Member

Default Torque convertor size

I have a 93' LX 5.0 with what I believe is a AOD-E tranny. I want to put a 2500 RPM stall convertor in it but I'm not sure what size it is. Would a stall convertot be worth the trouble or should I save the money and put it into some body work.

Thanks all
93' Mustang w/ a stock 302 block, E303 cam, 3.73 gears, Pulleys, Edelbrock Performer upper and lower, Edlebrock 70mm throttle body, gt40 heads 1.94 intake, 1.60 exhaust, 1.6 roller rockers, American Thunder exhaust, BBK cold air intake, BBK off road H-pipe, BBK 1-5/8 shorties, AOD with shift kit and 15* timing.
Red5Ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Converters are never a waste. Dont get me wrong though, some are crap compared to custom converters, but they still do fairly. It's an AOD u have. AODE's weren't until 94+ Mustangs. 2500 is perfect for a stock or near stock Mustang. Get a nice trans cooler to go with that converter though, cause it's gonna make a lot more heat. Go with a B&M SuperCooler(w/o the external tubes). I think they are like $45 or $50 from Summit.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

I very respectfully beg to differ and would reccomend a 3000 stall to make it worthwhile. Get a lockup converter and preserve your existing highway mileage. I just finished putting a 3000 stall behind a nearly stock motor and I almost fell into the backseat when I went to go nudge my car into the shop. 2500 stall is too mild a change to warrant the cost. It's like stepping up gears but only going 1 step. There is some guy selling 28,000 gvw coolers on ebay for 50 bucks or so. I personally got me a pair inline and bypassed the radiator cooler. Why reduce heat when you can kill it altogether?

Have fun!

I warmly recommend the tci streetfighter. It stalls between 2800 and 3200 on near stock motors. Just right and leaves you room for expansion. It's also quite reasonable pricewise.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:04 PM   #4
Red5Ltr
Registered Member

Can someone explain the difference between a lock-up and a non-lock-up. I think I have a good idea, but I'm not sure. I do drive my car quite a bit on the highway if that makes a difference. Look at my signature and I might beg to differ about my Stang being mainly stock.

Thanks all
93' Mustang w/ a stock 302 block, E303 cam, 3.73 gears, Pulleys, Edelbrock Performer upper and lower, Edlebrock 70mm throttle body, gt40 heads 1.94 intake, 1.60 exhaust, 1.6 roller rockers, American Thunder exhaust, BBK cold air intake, BBK off road H-pipe, BBK 1-5/8 shorties, AOD with shift kit and 15* timing.
Red5Ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
LX5liter
dude5l

Quote:
Originally posted by Red5Ltr
Can someone explain the difference between a lock-up and a non-lock-up. I think I have a good idea, but I'm not sure. I do drive my car quite a bit on the highway if that makes a difference. Look at my signature and I might beg to differ about my Stang being mainly stock.

Thanks all
A torque coverter is basically a fluid coupling, and without a lockup there is going to be some slippage. With a lockup convertor there will be a mechanism on the coverter that will effectivly use the converter body as the coupling instead of the fluid inside once higher speeds are attained, thereby reducing heat and increasing efficiency.
There is a lot more to a converter than that, but that is just a basic idea.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
crazypete
Registered Member

Oops, sorry about the stock comment (I was zonked from all this stupid flipflopping weather). Apart from cam and heads, we're _similar_ in setup.

In that case, my friend, you should definatley go with a 3000 stall since it does wonders for me! With nonlockup, you will have 2-300 rpms higher in 3rd and 4rth but your car will have torque multiplication in all gears (just feels like an extra 50 ft lbs of torque in 3rd and 4rth). You'll lose 1-2 mpg but you'll be too busy passing people on the highway and yelling "weeee!" to notice. I do have a lockup and you can feel the CLUNK when the trans locks up in OD. Doesnt feel that responsive all of a sudden. I think the unresponsiveness of the highway gear could be greatly alleviated with nonlockup. Your stock converter is lockup. It will feel like it does now. If $$$ doesnt matter, go non lockup.

Have fun!

Pete
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote