MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-01-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
jkoral
Registered Member

Default Need help with water pump install

OK, the water pump was easy to get off, but I have a coolant leak between the water pump plate and the block. I need to get that plate off, but have never done it before.

I see the obvious 5 or 6 bolts to pull the plate off, but see a couple underneath and see that if it does come loose, it will not come totally off unless I pull off the crank pully.

Is this true? Has anyone done this before? If so, please let me know the experience you had. I know it has to be done, but I have enough work to do on it before Cordova and do not want to do any extra work.

Thanks,
Joe
jkoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

You will have to remove the crack pully and balancer to remove the front cover. If its leaking there, make sure you remove the pulley and balancer and clean the cover surfaces and block surfaces well and get a good set of gaskets and use RTV sealant along with the gaskets.. No more leak

<marquee> NO MORE LEAK NO MORE LEAK </marquee>
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
jkoral
Registered Member

Thanks for your help. I am being told on another forum that there is no way coolant can be leaking from between the plate and the block because water does not pass through from there. But at another site, I am being told that it does.

I want to try and avoid this work if at all possible.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

well the other site doesn't know what there talking about... You have to remove the plates and remove the pulleys.. You could try stuff like Bars Leak but its not worth it. fix it right..
Old 09-01-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
jkoral
Registered Member

Thanks, I am just gonna do it. I cannot imaging having to take that all apart again after putting it all together.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-01-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Look at the 2 big round "ports" on the back of your water pump. Then at the cooresponding holes in the "plate" (this is called a timing cover) Where do those other guys think those go??? US guys that know, know they go straight through the timing cover into the block. Use GOOD gaskets here, and on the front of the oil pan. You'll see what I mean here when you get it off.
Don't forget to REMOVE the front FOUR oil pan bolts, they go up into the timing cover!!!

If the old oil pan gasket was a one piece, you might get away without, but you'll probably need the front of a 3 piece oil pan gasket. Again, this sounds really complicated, but you'll know exactly what I mean when you get it apart.

Be careful not to let any old gasket material into the oil pan when cleaning the block. I also recommend an oil change right after this, just to get rid of any anti-freeze that may have gotten into your oil system. Now is also an awesome time to check your timing chain, replace if sloppy, and for a few bucks throw in a front crank seal too!!!!

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 PM   #7
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

EXactly what he said... now is the time for thje replacements.. I would do the seal no matter what cause it will leak once its scrapped across the crankshaft.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #8
jkoral
Registered Member

I finally got this sucker off and do see what you mean now. The gasket that was on there was a one piece and I bought a multi piece. Do you think that will make a difference? Or should I go get a one piece?

Also, the gaskets I bought are Felpro, are those good enough? And it says to use RTV black, will RTV blue be fine?

And regarding the oil change, I did have to drain the oil anyway because of that. Are you recommending I fill it and then drain it again, just in case something did fall in there? Because when I was pulling the cover off, something may have fall in there.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

well you'll need to know what is in there.. get a flash lite and see if you can see what went in there, The one peice gasket on the oil pan if still in good shape, rtv it and use it if not you'll have to cut it and replace the area.. the felpro's are what I used and are great. rtv blue is fine too... if alot of antifreeze when down there, fill it and drain it again. check that timing chain if its loose change it too..
Old 09-02-2004, 02:09 PM   #10
jkoral
Registered Member

You answered all my questions for the day. Thanks very much. Oh, and the timing chain is nice and tight, plus my 93 has only 50K miles on it and is babied. So it looks like it is in good shape.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Looks good, don't forget to replace the timing cover crank seal, once you pull it off, it will leak when you install it back if not new..
Old 09-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #12
jkoral
Registered Member

Yeah, I got a new one of those too. The old one is a pain to get off.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Sounds like you have it under control...