MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #1
Rodoggx
Registered Member

Angry First the water pump....

I finally get my stang up and running again.... then my water pump springs a leak.

Since I am going to be replacing my water pump I figured I'd get a powermaster alternator and underdrive pulleys too.

Question1: Is there a particular underdrive pulley combo that works best with a powermaster 1-wire alternator?

Question2:Will a Higher flowing water pump free up any horse power? Any brands you guys would suggest?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
Milt 92GT
Registered Member

Default Re: First the water pump....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodoggx
I finally get my stang up and running again.... then my water pump springs a leak.

Since I am going to be replacing my water pump I figured I'd get a powermaster alternator and underdrive pulleys too.

Question1: Is there a particular underdrive pulley combo that works best with a powermaster 1-wire alternator?

Question2:Will a Higher flowing water pump free up any horse power? Any brands you guys would suggest?
Well I haven't heard too many good things about Powermaster..are you just wanting a new alternator?Or are you trying to upgrade to a 130amp alt? If your wanting to upgrade read this,3G upgrade It might be an alternative you could be interested in..

As for water pumps,some biggger names I have seen recommended are ,Edelbrock,Mezier (sp?) and some swear by a good old original Ford brand...as for freeing up horsepower,I think the most you might get out of that is that a cooler running engine usually makes more power...Personally because of lack of money,I put in a parts store brand and haven't had any problems...I installed it along with a new parts store 3 row radiator,180* Tstat,heavy duty fan clutch and new hoses...My 92GT usually only rides a quarter up on the factory guage...and that's with 100* plus temps daily...rarely with lots of traffic and standing still,it will reacj about half way and immediately cool down once moving...I'm planning on doing the 3G upgrade so I can also get an electric fan down the road as well...

Also you can get everything you need in a kit from this place
PA Performance for the alt upgrade....

Hope some of this info helps you out...-Milt
BBK ceramic shorties
Tokico Shocks and Struts
Eibach Pro-kit springs
PA Performance 3G alt
MarkVIII Fan
Milt 92GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:24 AM   #3
Rodoggx
Registered Member

I'm curious, what negative feedback have you run across about the powermaster? What I'm looking for is a 130-140 amp alternator that requires a painless install.... the reason i was lookin into a powermaster was because of its advertised true 1-wire hookup ....is it so wrong to want painless installs? heh.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:40 AM   #4
Milt 92GT
Registered Member

Talking

Heh...I know how you feel man...I like painless too!

But from doing searches on a few websites,I have heard that they are not of the best quality as in longevity..As to the one wire hook-up...It's just MY assumption that it couldn't work..Since I have been trying to do my homework on this before I start buying,I have read that the wiring in our cars is barely adequate for the weak stock alternator..much less a 130 or 140 amp...there are weak areas that have to be adressed before you can boost up the power...

Usually the end result can be a major electrical problems even fire...a friend on another website just recently had a fire occur...fortunately,he got it under control before any serious damage occured..

I dunno man but,if you still want to take a shot at the Powermaster,go for it...if it works out for you,I just might be on the phone with Summit myself right behind you...

-Milt
BBK ceramic shorties
Tokico Shocks and Struts
Eibach Pro-kit springs
PA Performance 3G alt
MarkVIII Fan
Old 09-09-2003, 01:31 AM   #5
Milt 92GT
Registered Member

Here are some threads I found about the Powermaster..some good some bad..

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5

There is someone on this site that goes by Hozer 88GTConv

Maybe you can email him with any questions you might have...Just a few threads to read on...there are many more on here and Corral and Stangnet...do a few searches and see what you decide man...laters-Milt
BBK ceramic shorties
Tokico Shocks and Struts
Eibach Pro-kit springs
PA Performance 3G alt
MarkVIII Fan
Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 AM   #6
Rodoggx
Registered Member

Yea I read the threads and I might end up going to pa-performance for an alternator. I also want underdrive pulleys but will this require me to modify a 3g alt?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:26 PM   #7
VeNuM
Registered Member

I got the ASP waterpump and crank underdrive pulleys and then a PA Performance 130amp alternator. I was told that the pulley on the PA Performance alternator is already the same size as the underdriven pulley on the old alternator. I inspected it and it was indeed slightly larger. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:57 AM   #8
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We have underdrive pullies and went with the PA Performance alt. They recommended not to change to alt pulley as it's almost the same size as most underdrive alt pullies. More importantly, it'll void the life-time warranty of the alt.

The PA Performance alt is pretty easy to install, you should go with the 4g with inline fuse option, the additional amps will be fine with this wire. You do have to change some connectors, but in reality this fixes the OEM connector Ford uses as they've been known to cause problems. You may or may not have to modify the alt bracket to accomidate the addtional size. A little time consumming but not hard.

If you go with underdrive pulllies, I recommend a 130alt.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote