MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
surfsup
Registered Member

Default bent water pump shaft

Maybe this is not a big deal, but can some one tell me what happen? spun the tires in first, hit second gear, and then it happen, the motor was knockin, after saying all the words that I could think of, the motor was fine, the shaft on the water pump bent, why did this happen? the bearing is fine, no wobble nothing loose just the shaft is bent, some one told me the belt was to tight, but I have the auto tension, and wouldn’t the belt break first? and by the way autozone 34.99 local parts store 59.99

Last edited by surfsup; 01-25-2005 at 12:02 AM..
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: bent water pump shaft

Does the motor knock if you remove the belt?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
tarmon8r
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsup
Maybe this is not a big deal but can some one tell me what happen spun the tires in first hit second gear and then it happen the motor was a knockin after saying all the words that I could think of the motor was fine the shaft on the water pump bent why did this happen the bearing is fine no wobble nothing loose just the shaft is bent some one told me it was the belt to tight but I have the auto tension and wouldn’t the belt break first and buy the way autozone 34.99 local parts store 59.99
How do you know the shaft is bent but the "bearing is fine no wobble"? I dont understand how a shaft can be bent but no wobble?
One long run-on sentence. I would be nice if I could comprehend this to give you some help. You are conveying information. Please use periods or commas to seperate comments or ideas.. I ll give it a try to comprehend.. Most wont even try to help if its to complicated to read and understand. Thanks.. Good luck with your problem. Peace.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

My head hurts after reading that. Something about a bent water pump.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
surfsup
Registered Member

Sorry, didn’t realize punctuation and grammar was that important, LOL. When you spin the water pump shaft, it spins true from the front of the pump to the back of the pulley, ( for the belt) from the pulley to the fan the shaft is bent, there is no play in the shaft bearing, when you grab the shaft and try to wiggle the thing, It’s solid as a rock. No movement to indicate a bad bearing. I was just curious on why this happened?? All I did was punch the car in first gear, the tires broke loose, power shifted to second at 5000 with the tires still spinning, and then I heard a noise under the hood, sounded like a knock. I looked under the hood with the motor running, saw the fan belt trying to come off the water pump pulley, and the fan was spinning crooked.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
grey88gt
Registered Member

Do you have a broken engine mount? Maybe the engine torqued up and the fan grabbed the shroud, and bent the water pump input shaft maybe. Dont see that happening but its a possability.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Are you sure it is the shaft and not the pulley??

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsup
Maybe this is not a big deal but can some one tell me what happen spun the tires in first hit second gear and then it happen the motor was a knockin after saying all the words that I could think of the motor was fine the shaft on the water pump bent why did this happen the bearing is fine no wobble nothing loose just the shaft is bent some one told me it was the belt to tight but I have the auto tension and wouldn’t the belt break first and buy the way autozone 34.99 local parts store 59.99

Major "run on sentence" is hard to read, LOL. See if you have a warranty from AutoZone for the water pump. Maybe take an English refresher from the local community college.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
surfsup
Registered Member

I guess you have nothing better to do then put people down.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey88gt
Do you have a broken engine mount? Maybe the engine torqued up and the fan grabbed the shroud, and bent the water pump input shaft maybe. Dont see that happening but its a possability.
I think that sounds logical, the rubber mounts do tend to flex a bit when they start to wear. I cant see there being enough torque from just the belt to bend the shaft, but I guess weirder things have happened. Maybe the accessories got to spinning real fast, then the fan clutch kicked in and put the added strain on the shaft, I think either that or the fan hitting the shroud would explain the knock you heard.
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #11
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Hey Surfsup! I had a similar problem. Started my car up one morning and heard the water pump pulley grinding the balancer. (underdrive pulleys) Not completely sure why it happened. Only thing i can figure is that the shaft must weaken and bend slightly under the pressure of the belt. If you notice the tensioner moves and RPMs increase putting more pressure on the accessories. Hope this helps.

P.S. I thought this was a forum for auto enthusiats looking for help with their cars, not an english class?
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 PM   #12
rwhite65
Ride Hard

he was not putting anyone down. You will find the people on here will be much more helpfull if you use a few simple periods or commas.

This is not a flame, but many members will pass the topic if it is hard to read and just go on to the next.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite65
he was not putting anyone down. You will find the people on here will be much more helpfull if you use a few simple periods or commas.

This is not a flame, but many members will pass the topic if it is hard to read and just go on to the next.
Ryan
This is true. When people can make sense of what they are reading, they can help much easier and the whole process is just faster.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:18 AM   #14
k. putman
Registered Member

With the tires spinning, engine RPM's up. Then the car hooked, loading the engine and stressing the belt. It sounds like he has a serpentine, which will have more contact than a vee, at the end of the shaft. So the bearing, and coolant to some extent, supported the stub holding the impeler and allowed the damage at the other end. I would like to know about seal damage and weep-hole leakage if it did occur this way.

Or maybe the shaft is not bent...but the flange that holds the pully was "tweeked" on the shaft because of the same type stress. This may be more likely because there is not a lot of shaft that extends from the housing.

That's why I don't do Autozone...
k. putman is offline   Reply With Quote