MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
vipermn
Registered Member

Unhappy 89 Ford Mustang 5.0 SQUEAKY FRONT ???/

I am buying a 1989 Mustang 5.0 with 160,000 miles.One owner.It has this SQUEAK in the front end with these characteristics1)When you raise the the vehicle for a while and then set it back down on the ground and then drive it the squeak goes away for awhile and then comes back.( 2) when the tires are straight and you turn the steering wheel to the LEFT it starts to creak Immediately, almost all the way to the far left, then when you start to turn the wheel from far left to the right its starts to creak again until the wheels are straight and even though you continue to turn to the right there is no creaking all the way through to far right. Then when you turn the wheel back to the left again from far right there is no creaking until the wheels are straight at which time the creaking starts again and continues until they're almost all the way to far left.(3) when I feel the front end parts while someone turns the steering wheel, and when it is creaking I feel a vibration in the tie rod and and the Lower control arm of the left side (as you sit behind the wheel). (4) while those tires are pointed straight forward and you bounce the car up and down in front it it only squeaks when it's straight. and you turn left. anybody have any idea what that could be?
vipermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Default Re: 89 Ford Mustang 5.0 SQUEAKY FRONT ???/

Disconnect the outer tierod end from the spindle and see if there is any play in the rack and pinion. The inner tierod ends could be wore out. I'd also check the ball joint on the left side. With 160k on the clock, anything is possible.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote