MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2001, 12:33 PM   #1
boricua_5litro
Registered Member

Question Procharger or powerdyne???

What is the best supercharger and which one is easier to install? Any other supercharger that does not require oil pan tapping? Thanks.

------------------
94GT, cobra intake, 65mm TB, 75mm PRO-M, Mac cold air induction, march underdrive pulleys, Mac shorty headers, off-road H-pipe, Mac cat back, FMS drive shaft, FMS 3:73 gears, Jet chip, kirban shifter, eibach 2" lowering springs, Konig villain 17x8 front 17x9 rear.
boricua_5litro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 02:47 PM   #2
clearwaterms
Registered Member

the new powerdyne has gone to a "tapped oil system". If you refuse to tap the pan, then the ATI is a great blower, with the intercooler you loose CFM, so you will need to get more boost to compinsate, say 12 psi instead of 8~10 required by a S-trim. Another problem with the ATI is that you will have to relocate your battery, which i would think is probably a bigger problem then tapping the oil pan (which was easy!) The Novi blower is supposed to be the hottest ticket right now, with alot of potential to upgrade.
clearwaterms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 08:32 AM   #3
PWR_RYD93
Registered Member

Buy any Vortech kit or a Paxton NOVI 2000 kit. Seen way too many problems and disappointed guys with the other two brands. If you're that worried about tapping a little hole in the pan then you shouldn't be buying a supercharger. Get a nitrous system instead.

------------------
Craig
Supercharged 93 GT
Basically stock 93 Cobra
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol!"
PWR_RYD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 12:23 AM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Indeed PD does make a new gear driven blower but they still make the belt one too. If it's a street car with no slicks ever being used, a powerdyne will be the easiest to install. However, if you're a weekend warrior at the strip, the internal belt in the PD will break. They can't take the sudden RPM drops in the impeller-from 60,000RPM's to around 30,000RPMS. Also the PD is virtually silent. I prefer the blower scream but that's just me. I own a powerdyne and I love it, but I will eventually get a Vortech S-trim.
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 11:44 AM   #5
Paluka21
Registered Member

Cool

In my opinion there is NO comparison between a powerdyne and a ProCharger. I have a D1SC on my 95 cobra and definetly like it!
The battery relocation is no big deal at all! all I did was run the cabling supplied by ATI ProCharger to the truck through the inside of the car to the trunk. I connected the power wire to the power distribution box in the front so you dont need to pull the starter. At the most, it will take you an hour and a half!! so don't let relocating your battery stop you. alot of people do this anyways to take weight off the front end of the car and put wieght over the rear tires.
In my opinion a ProCharger is a good product. Some people have had problems w/ the P600B series,however you hear much more about powerdynes having probs. Then again, I would bet that all superchargers have their problems here or there?
Also the intercooler from ATI (3 core) is very effiecient. If I run my car hard and then pop the hood to place my hand on the inlet tube before the s/c it is very hot, however on the outlet tube next to the intake, it is usually cool, or at the most ambient. And the proclaimed boost numbers that ATI says are considered after the intercooler. I have a 11-12psi pulley on my D1SC w/ the 3 core intercooler, I see around 10lbs of boost by 5000rpms, and after that its hard to watch your tach, speedo, fuel guage, boost guage, and the road in front of you!! so heres one vote for ProChargers!
if you have anymore ?'s feel free to ask away
Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021
Stage II GT40X heads, E303 .535 lift, D1SC ProCharger, 3 core intercooler, MSD 6AL, 3.73's, BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster catback, hooker equal length headers, 50# injectors, 255 intank, external boost pump, romac balancer, kirban AFPR, FMU w/ bleeder valve, Pro-m75 bullet, nitto drag radials
Best ET: 13.1 @106.3 before S/C
Paluka21 is offline   Reply With Quote