MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2001, 02:23 PM   #1
gray87GT
Registered Member

Question T5-Z

Hey all. I would like some opinions on the T5-Z. With my mods I am hoping to have at least 320 HP. If I installed my SSM liftbars, and got some BFG drag radials would the T5-Z be able to handle it for years to come? I plan on getting 4:10's also. Thanks

------------------
87 GT, BBK shorty's, offroad H-pipe, ASP pullies, 70mm T.B., Cobra intake, no smog pump, Windsor Jr irons, Comp cams 1.6 rollers, F303 cam, H.D. export W.P., Tri-Ax, FMS subframes, Battle boxes, SSM liftbars, FMS King Cobra clutch, mass-air conversion, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, BBK fuel pressure regulator, 3/8" no EGR spacer, and other piddly sh*t.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:07 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Why did you choose the F-303? It's generally used as a blower cam, although some people have used it N/A and had good luck, the combo I've seen that seems to work well are the GT-40X aluminum heads along with a bigger intake than the Cobra.

Anyway, yeah, I'd say you should make somewhere in the area of 320hp, but I'm not that sure on the Windsor Jr's real performance capacity?

The T5z is rated for 330lb/ft of torque, you may be making a little more than that, but I see no reason it won't take it. I've got one from D&D performance, I love it and no problems. Course I'm stock too.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:23 PM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

I'm not hitting your type of power, yet , but I wish I had gone with the TKO instead. The T5Z has been good, but I'm not happy with the first gear ratio compared to the stock T5 and for only a few hundred more I should have gone with the bigger, beefier tremec or TKO. Now I'm looking at the six speed conversion I read about in 5.0 M&SF a couple months ago. :P Maybe in a few years...
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:50 PM   #4
gray87GT
Registered Member

Unit- Damn...I have read a ton of your posts and have never noticed you are from MN. That's exactly why I choose the Fcam, in case I get a supercharger. I have a set of Windsor Sr's that I would throw on there also....so it wouldn't be too bad if infact I was to go supercharged...just a head swap. I havn't had her on the street yet, but that engine is extremely smooth at high RPM's, I am hoping it will have good power all the way up to red line.

------------------
87 GT, BBK shorty's, offroad H-pipe, ASP pullies, 70mm T.B., Cobra intake, no smog pump, Windsor Jr irons, Comp cams 1.6 rollers, F303 cam, H.D. export W.P., Tri-Ax, FMS subframes, Battle boxes, SSM liftbars, FMS King Cobra clutch, mass-air conversion, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, BBK fuel pressure regulator, 3/8" no EGR spacer, and other piddly sh*t.
Old 03-12-2001, 06:31 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

The cam will support good power to redline, I don't think you'll have any problems pulling up top.

Yeah there are a bunch of cool members here from MN, I'm probably one of the few that tackles winter in my 5.0.

I'll agree with the 2.95:1 first gear ratio being steep in the T-5z, but even with my 2.73's my car pulls pretty strong out of the hole. I've definately noticed a slower initial take off, but I also have less wheelspin issues. I would personally like a taller 1st gear if I had some lower gears. With 3.73's I would honestly believe the 2.95 first gear would be an advantage over the 3.35 standard.

------------------
1987 GT 5spd.
D&D Performance "Z" spec T-5
Dynomax 2.5" Super Turbo system
BBK 2 1/2" H-pipe with cats

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 03-12-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 06:52 PM   #6
gray87GT
Registered Member

I have read a lot of posts that mention the TKO, who makes it, and how much $ is it?? I was going with the T-5Z since it bolts right up to the stock bellhousing, and no driveshaft mods are needed...and since it's just over a grand. I would like to learn more about the TKO. thanks

------------------