MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2001, 11:38 PM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Post Valve guide seals?

What exactly does worn valve guides mean? Can they be replaced, or does that mean you need to get a new short block, I am confused. I would appreciate any guidance on this issue...Thank you in advance, as far as I know I do not have this problem, but have heard others mention it.

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 11:48 PM   #2
gray87GT
Registered Member

Kevin-
The valve guides are in the heads, ussualy brass?? If those are worn than oil can get into the chambers much easier, and cause valve train problems. The seals are the umbrella or positive lock type that ride on the valve stem inside the springs, they keep the oil out of the chambers. With your new heads you won't have to worry about either. Jeff

------------------
87 GT, BBK shorty's, offroad H-pipe, ASP pullies, 70mm T.B., Cobra intake, no smog pump, Windsor Jr irons, Comp cams 1.6 rollers, F303 cam, H.D. export W.P., Tri-Ax, FMS subframes, Battle boxes, SSM liftbars, FMS King Cobra clutch, mass-air conversion, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, BBK fuel pressure regulator, 3/8" no EGR spacer, and other piddly sh*t.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote