MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2001, 10:58 AM   #1
Killercanary
Registered Member

Post Do Nitto DR's loss traction when worn down?

I heard long ago that either the BFG or the Nitto drag radial doesn't hook well after it is worn down. After the way my car is hooking, I think it is the Nitto's. I shouldn't complain though as I have way over 12 thousand miles on them with at least 50+ passes on them. Last year with a burned up posi, 3.73's, and no subframe connectors I was cutting consistent 1.91 60's. This year the best I can manage is 2.000. I used to dump the clutch at 4000rpms last year and the car would hook right up and go. Last night with a 2000rpm launch even with slipping the clutch a little, the tires spun as soon as I let the clutch all the way out and dropped the hammer. I should be doing better this year I think, I just replaced the traction lock clutches (I broke every one of the tabs on them last year), installed global west full length subframe connectors, and put in 4.10's in place of the 3.73's. My MPH is just about where it was last year, around 98mph. The mph is a little slower than last year but that could be due to the traction or added weight of the subframes. Before I go buying a new set of tires, even though I need them, I'd like to know if it is the Nitto that doesn't hook well when worn down. It kinda makes sense that it would be the Nitto as its a dual compound tire, and perhaps I've run it down below the sticky part of the tire, I don't know. I really don't think it is the 4.10's as I had more tracion than I could use last year, and I only jumped from a 3.73 to a 4.10, plus my posi was shot last year, now its new, and like I said I have subframe connectors now which has got to help weight transfer in my convertible.

------------------
95 GT convt' 5 speed, 3.73's,FMS HD clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, ASP alum. underdrive pulleys, Bassani offroad X pipe, 2 chmbr flowmasters, K&N w/o silencer, edelbrock performer intake, FRPP 65mm T-body, FRPP shorty headers, FRPP aluminum driveshaft.Hooker 4pt chrome car bar, Xenon/Wings West ground effects, custom interior
Best ET: 13.83
Best MPH: 98.55mph with Best 60': 1.91 on Nitto DR's
Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 11:20 AM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

yea i seen bfg hook like a mofo still bald..they wear faster tho..and you need to do more of a burnout with nitos

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote