MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2001, 11:32 PM   #1
95Convert
Registered Member

Question Kenne-Bell and ????

Alright, I have decided on the Kenne-Bell 2200 Blowzilla supercharger. Why, because my car is a daily driver, 30 miles to work each way and I am not looking for the all out performance of the centrifugal crowd. I would like some suggestions on what mods to my motor would best take advantage of this blower. I am looking for mid-to-low 13's and emissions legal. Any help would be appreciated.
95Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 12:44 AM   #2
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Anything you can do to reduce restriction on the inlet side of the KB blower will increase boost. By this I mean an 80mm+ MAF, 75 mm TB, and conical air filter. Seriously, these mods will give about 2 lbs. of boost alone. With these mods and a KB blower, I was getting 8.5 lbs with the 7 lb. pulley, and 13 lbs. with the ll lb. pulley.

Wider rear tires will help too .

So your from Murfeesboro? I've got in-laws in that town.

------------------
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.

[This message has been edited by NO SLO PK (edited 02-04-2001).]
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 11:36 AM   #3
95Convert
Registered Member

Wink

Thanks for the info. I don't think I can get any wider than the 17x11 wheels w/ 315/35-17's that are on it right now. I definitely plan on the intake upgrades(MAF,TB, etc.)with the SC. I also will be running a 2 1/2 inch x-pipe with the 2 1/2 cat-backs already in place. What about fuel pump and injector upgrades? What should I run with this blower?
Old 02-04-2001, 11:49 AM   #4
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Cool

I was seriously thinking about the Kenne-bell myself, but then i found the vortech S-trim kit for $3400. It came with most of what i would need to buy for the blowzilla, so that is my choice now. Is your car stock? Do you have heads or other mods? That would deffinately help determine which fuel peices to get. On a stock motor your 19 pounders should be just fine. An adjustable regulator, an FMU, and a larger intake pump wouldn't hurt. Fill us in on what you have so we can be more specific.

BTW: If i had gotten the Kenne-bell my custom plates would have read "BLOZLA"

Light Em Up!!

[This message has been edited by NoSlow5.0 (edited 02-04-2001).]
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 02:16 PM   #5
95Convert
Registered Member

Wink

Okay, I am basically stock right now, with minor bolt ons (Underdrives, 3.73, k&n, etc.) I plan to go with the Edelbrock 6037's at the same time I add the blower. 1.6 roller rockers will also be added. I figure a custom grind cam would work well with this blower, but I need input before that step. Again, nothing to radical, just a good street set-up.
Old 02-04-2001, 04:29 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You'll never be able to get by with 19lb injectors on a Kenne Bell blowzilla.

Depending on other mods, you'll absolutely have to have the 24 lbers, possibly the 30 lbers.

With the heads a GT with the blowzilla should be over 300hp at the wheels. I'd expect with any decent combo to have nearly 400hp at the flywheel. On a forced induction motor that would be minimal 24's, possibly 30's IMO.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 05:44 PM   #7
stangsrule
Registered Member

Cool

Hey Unit 5302 I hate to disagree with you but you can "get by" with the stock 19# inectors and a BLowzilla. Of course you are limmiting the full ability of the blower but you can do it to get going till you can afford other upgrades. I installed my Blowzilla on a tottaly stock motor and had no problems. But to get more out of the setup (just as with any other setup, blower or turbo or whatever) you need to make other changes as well. So after a while I installed the KB ram air with an 80mm mass air, 36# injectors and a switch chip. These really woke up the combo! Then when I saved up the money I went with aluminum heads and headers and really perked it up again! What I am saying is that if money is tight you CAN get by with the stock injectors and an FMU, then when you can aford to do it right you ditch the FMU and install bigger injectors and a bigger, calibrated mass air. The KB blower is awsome on the street! Good luck!

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.

[This message has been edited by stangsrule (edited 02-04-2001).]
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 07:05 PM   #8
Killercanary
Registered Member

95Convert- you should be able to run at least a 13 flat with the blowzilla and your mods. My 95convert runs 13.8's now, and I still have the factory heads, MAF, injectors, and fuel pump- at least for now I just ordered a set of AFR heads, and with them will be upgrading the rest. My car with underdrives, 3.73's, K&N, HD clutch, off road bassani X pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters ran 14.5's at roughly 95mph on street tires. With the added 80rwhp associated with a 6lb blowzilla that trap speed would be around 104-105 which is enough for a 12.9 or so with traction.
My cousin just put on 6lb blowzilla on his 94GT. He still has the factory MAF, injectors, pump, etc. He does have the supplied FMU. His car has been detonating above 4500rpm's, but he said he may have too much timing. The car ran 14.2's at 97mph with underdrives, X pipe, 3.55's, and K&N, he will definitely be in the 12's now, I can attest to this after riding with him. I kid you not that I was behind him doing 45mph when he kicked it down and took off broadside. 1st and 2nd might as well not exist because all they result in is massive amounts of tire abuse! You will love the Kenne bell, it is a very impressive blower, with even more impressive power.

------------------
95 GT convt' 5 speed, 3.73's,FMS HD clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, ASP alum. underdrive pulleys, Bassani offroad X pipe, 2 chmbr flowmasters, K&N w/o silencer, edelbrock performer intake, FRPP 65mm T-body, FRPP shorty headers, FRPP aluminum driveshaft.Hooker 4pt chrome car bar, Xenon/Wings West ground effects, custom interior
Best ET: 13.83
Best MPH: 98.55mph with Best 60': 1.91 on Nitto DR's
Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 07:43 PM   #9
LOCASH
Registered Member

I am saving up some dough for that blower also. I have the information pack from Kenne Bell if you have any questions.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Steeda G-trac and subs, Strut bar.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 08:01 PM   #10
95Convert
Registered Member

Wink

Thanks for the input. Obviously traction is going to be an issue. I have heard that the Global West trac-link kit will do wonders for the car. Anybody used that set-up before? I have gotten all sorts of advice on suspension set-ups, and far too many of them really tend to degrade the driveability of the car. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too, but the trac-link seems to be a good compromise. Should I stick with the FMU or go ahead and get the larger injectors, corresponding fuel pump and a FP regulator? I have a fairly healthy budget, so I do not see cost being a big factor.

[This message has been edited by 95Convert (edited 02-04-2001).]
Old 02-04-2001, 09:37 PM   #11
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Yeah, step up to the 30s, don't waste time with the 24s if you're going to make a change (my opinion).

As stated above, you'll be fine with the 19 lb. injectors if your motor is stock. After all, that's the way the kit was designed. They'll be maxxed out, but they'll be okay as long as you run the FMU.

I also ran a KB blower but didn't like it. Send me a private message if you want the reasons why.

------------------
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
Old 02-04-2001, 09:39 PM   #12
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Forgot to mention -- it's almost necessary to beef up the cooling system. An aluminum radiator with 180 t-stat would be a good start, especially if you want to run aluminum heads.
Old 02-04-2001, 10:47 PM   #13
keen
Registered Member

Who recomended a 2200 KB for a stock eng.? I read many a posts where the 1500 was much more efficient . Only engines I have seen w/ 2200's were 351's. The most popular street/ strip blower is the 1500 unit. Add some alum. heads, min. 30# injectors and stock or very mild cam and you will have asphalt ripper.
keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 11:01 PM   #14
95Convert
Registered Member

Wink

Nobody "recommended" the 2200, I said I am going to get one. I will be upgrading the engine with alum. heads, bigger MAF,TB, headers and a 2 1/2 inch catalytic h-pipe at the same time as I put on the blower. At some point, I intend to have a 351 built for the car, so I am not going to get the 1500 only to have to upgrade later.
Old 02-04-2001, 11:17 PM   #15
Killercanary
Registered Member

If you want info on the GW track link go to http://talk.saleenchat.com. There are a number of people there with it. "Daisy" from that board has it on her 95 GT convertible, go into the lounge and post a question to her about it, I'm sure she'll respond, or else email me and I will give you her email address.

------------------
95 GT convt' 5 speed, 3.73's,FMS HD clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, ASP alum. underdrive pulleys, Bassani offroad X pipe, 2 chmbr flowmasters, K&N w/o silencer, edelbrock performer intake, FRPP 65mm T-body, FRPP shorty headers, FRPP aluminum driveshaft.Hooker 4pt chrome car bar, Xenon/Wings West ground effects, custom interior
Best ET: 13.83
Best MPH: 98.55mph with Best 60': 1.91 on Nitto DR's
Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.
Old 02-05-2001, 01:16 AM   #16
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hehe, I was talking with the heads stangsrule. Anyway, if he's got 8psi or more, I wouldn't try pushing the 19lb units. 350 hp at the flywheel is about everything you can get out of them.

On a stock Cobra M/T got the Kenne Bell Stalker to dyno at 311hp@5000rpm at the rear wheels. They had the 315's on it and they said the dumped the clutch in 2nd and "creamated the rear dunlops for at least 100 yards" Oh yeah, she's got torque. Anyway, it trapped in 13.4@104, and that's with those morons driving.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 02:38 AM   #17
stangsrule
Registered Member

Cool

Oh ok I see... Still I wanted to point out that you could use stockers if nessary... Not the best setup but possible. My ONLY complaint about the KB is that I wish they had an intercooler for it, I know Jim's arguments against them but I would still rather pay for it up front and not have to worry about octane boosting...

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 09:21 PM   #18
95Convert
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys, I think I've formulated the final plan. One last question. Does the blower replace the intake or merely bolt onto the lower. If it is the later, what lower intake do I need to have Cobra or stock for the Blowzilla (2.0)version?
Old 02-06-2001, 11:05 PM   #19
Killercanary
Registered Member

You can use either, but you must specify which one you have, the stock or cobra/GT40 lower. The SC just replaces the upper.
Old 02-08-2001, 03:53 PM   #20
LOCASH
Registered Member

YOU SHOULD REALLY ORDER THE INFO PACK FROM THEM. IT HAS ALOT OF INFO AND COSTS ABOUT 4-5 BUCKS. IF YOU ARE GOING TO SPEND THAT MUCH DOUGH ON A BLOWER YOU SHOULD REALLY READ IT. THEY MAKE ALOT OF STUFF FOR THE BLOWER INCLUDING A CAM, 2 STAGE CHIP W/A SWITCH, MASS AIR METER, AND FUEL PUMP BOOSTER. THE KIT INCLUDES A WORKSHEET TO HELP THEM MAKE A CHIP FOR YOU APPLICATION. THEY'RE # IS IN MOST 5.0 MAGS JUST LOOK IN THE ADVERTISER INDEX IN THE BACK.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Steeda G-trac and subs, Strut bar.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote