MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-2003, 01:15 AM   #1
7SecYaRight
Registered Member

Default 351 questions

Ok, now have been searching the internet and not too many people have a whole lot available as far as crate engines go. Now I have been looking at the FRPP crate engines and i was wondering if some of you can give me an idea as to buying a crate engine or going custom.
The engines i was at are the; 385 HP 5.8L/351 GT-40 Bracket Race Long Block Engine Assembly(parts #M-6007-A351)

and

5.8L/351/392 CID Small Block -430 HP Bracket Race GT-40 Aluminum Head Long Block Engine Assembly(Parts #M-6007-A392)

im looking for around 400 all engine horsepower. Do you think i could build a custom engine with mixed matched parts for cheaper? Or are these crate engines a good way to go?

any help would be much appreciated. I know this sounds like a bulls*it thread but within the next year i will be doing this for sure and i really do need some help. thanks in advance for any help.

Tom
7SecYaRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:49 AM   #2
PKRWUD

If you are an experienced engine builder, and can do quality work yourself, and can get some good deals on parts, go for it yourself. Otherwise, I believe the long block assemblies and complete engines being sold by the manufacturers today really can't be beat. It's not as much fun buying a long block, but at least the math has already been done for you, and your only question is what color spark plug wires you want to get.

I recently built a 308, that I know will dyno at 350hp, for about $1200. I could sell it for $3500 tomorrow, but it's not for sale. I had a good deal on the parts, and I've already got all the other parts I needed. I did all the labor myself, and feel confident this engine will run for 200k miles with nothing more than routine maintenance. So for me, this time, it was a better deal to build it myself, but that doesn't mean that's necessarily the answer for you, or even for me next time. It just depends.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:58 AM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

I am at the same point you are. I think I am just going to get the 351/392 Sportsman Short block from Ford and then put on it what I want. I am just worried about what would be too much for a car that I want to be able to drive when ever and maybe even take it on trips. What are the factors in an engine that make it a strip car and not a street?

Good luck with your search for an engine.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:25 AM   #4
BilLster
Registered Member

cam selection is a big factor

my cam seams small for the track but the car is streetable all year round and with the boost turned up there is more power than the chasis can handle .

it comes down to vacum. and running accessories.

Crane Cam 228/228 @ .050" .512/.512" lift is what ive got in the car right now

the frpp block has a roller cam which isnt to agressive (for a 393)go with it and ad a blower or n2o latter . smaller pulley on the street

if i had to do it again i would go with a coast 408 with AFR heads and drop my turbo's on it. with my homemade manifold
Old 06-18-2003, 10:41 AM   #5
GodStang
College Stanger

Is it possible to make a EFI 392 FRPP "Sportman" with a 6-speed tranny that has AFR 205 heads, Edlebrock 5.8 Intake, and a Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger a daily driver. I want something fast but driveable.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
7SecYaRight
Registered Member

Actually, I am currently in school for my mechanics license. So that is why I was considering building it on my own. The biggest reason that I am considering a crate engine is because I dont know a whole lot about the performance parts available(cam, heads, pistons, etc.). I think maybe I should just buy the crate engine and tackle the EFI for it. Once I am more confident I will build my own engine. Thanks alot for the help.
7SecYaRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
BilLster
Registered Member

the only thing stopping any of us is money

run a small crank pully during the week and swap to a large crank pully at the track