MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-16-2003, 02:40 AM   #1
my9250GT

Default enough already...!

I am so freak'n tired of this damn exhaust leak on my 92 stang...i cant seem to find where its comming from i have replaced the gaskest twice this time i used copper ones.i upgraded to locking bolts..i have torqed down on the flang bolts. i even removed the freak'n mufflers to see if it was that (don't ask why at this point im trying anything) after i torqued down the flang bolt it went away but now its back and it seems to be comming from all over the bottom right and left side of the car sometimes it sounds like its comming from under the valve covers and get louder as i drive but i cannot reproduce the sound at idle...help help help please!
1992 Mustang GT, BBK equal length headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 3:73's, MAC cold air induction, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Black Magic electric fan, 180*T-stat, Hurst shifter, Edelbrock 70mm TB & EGR, Eibach Drag springs w/ air bag, Edelbrock shocks, Tokico struts, MM adjustable LCA's, MM C/C plates, Not yet installed: Trick Flow engine kit (heads, cam, intakes..etc Pro-M 75mm MAF w/ 30lbs injectors, complete 5-lug 4 wheel disk brakes off a 94 Cobra and a Granetelli K-member w/ tubular A-arms)

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER

my9250GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:06 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Check all of your smog hoses. I have a problem with the one that connects to my x pipe always melting. Also, where the hose comes off of the back of the smog pump and runs toward the firewall, where it splits off, one goes straight back and one sort of dips down. Check the one that dips down. I had it sit on my header and burn a hole in it. It was an aggrivating experience, I couldnt find the leak. It cose about $2 to fix.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 09:26 AM   #3
mikew88gt
Registered Member

I know when your thermactor line is off/loose it sounds like a nasty exhaust leak.

You say that you hear it more when you drive but not sitting at idle so try setting your parking brake and letting the clutch out a little in first gear to see if the torque from your engine is causing your exhaust to partially separate some where. If your engine mounts are loose or really worn out then maybe your exhaust is working where the headers and X-pipe mate. If there is any black carbon build-up around a joint it's leaking. Good luck.

My 1988 Mustang GT
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:53 AM   #4
my9250GT

thanks guys
i'll check all hoses and lines first thing in the morning!
I haven't done that yet
1992 Mustang GT, BBK equal length headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 3:73's, MAC cold air induction, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Black Magic electric fan, 180*T-stat, Hurst shifter, Edelbrock 70mm TB & EGR, Eibach Drag springs w/ air bag, Edelbrock shocks, Tokico struts, MM adjustable LCA's, MM C/C plates, Not yet installed: Trick Flow engine kit (heads, cam, intakes..etc Pro-M 75mm MAF w/ 30lbs injectors, complete 5-lug 4 wheel disk brakes off a 94 Cobra and a Granetelli K-member w/ tubular A-arms)

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER

Old 06-18-2003, 02:35 AM   #5
my9250GT

well i checked the hoses everything is tight...next i think i'm just going to rip everything out and re-install it again. i'll tell ya this is the last time i have someone else work on my car i always have to redo it....if that dont work i hear people say the went from equal length to long tube with no leaks maybe thats my next step any advise?

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER

Old 06-18-2003, 09:35 AM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

The hoses in the smog system shouldnt leak due to a loose connection. They fit pretty snug on the various fittings and pipes. Did you check for any holes in the hoses?
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

Default Re: enough already...!

Quote:
Originally posted by my9250GT
I have torqed down on the flang bolts. after i torqued down the flang bolt it went away but now its back
Perhaps the flange plate for the headers is warped or bent badly enough to allow for a leak once it heats up?
I had the same trouble with the bolts working loose and switched to stage 8 hardware, but still found t virtualy impossible to get back at the rear passenger side bolt by the firewall with the lock washer and Jesus clip.

Also, one minor problem I had with the washers is they only allow you to lock the bolts down at specific 60 degree turn's and on a couple of them I ended up grinding my own washer out to fit that bolts particular position. Without having done that I was unable to get it torqued down properly to allow a good seal against the heads.
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Thermactor???

I still haven't seen you say you have checked the thermactor crossover tube that bolts to the rear of the cylinder heads.

That definitely sounds like a good exhaust leak when there is a problem there.

googd luck...
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:19 AM   #9
my9250GT

I'll check the thermactor this weekend !
as for the stage 8 bolts i did have to cut and modify some to get them in and i have noticed some loss of power i dont have that passing power it used to have on the freeway!
thanks guys im off for the next 4 days i'll post my findings tuesday night!

SOCALHORSEPOWER MEMBER