MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-02-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
Bo408
Registered Member

Default Starters

Starters
Does one that's coming loose
Cause a car to cut out twice?
It cut out twice on May 30th
It came off or died on June 17th I think
What does that sound like?
Bo408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

the starter is physically coming off?
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:43 PM   #3
Bo408
Registered Member

Default Re: Starters

Quote:
Originally posted by Bo408
Starters
Does one that's coming loose
Cause a car to cut out twice?
It cut out twice on May 30th
It came off or died on June 17th I think
What does that sound like?
It did
His car became a toy push car
Don't laugh too hard
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Bo408, I just posted on your other thread in the Blue Oval Lounge. I went there before coming here, obviously. I apologize.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

sounds like you need to put some thread lock on them bolts and find out why they are coming out? Are the threads stripped.. it falls off and shorts out on the block, you can damage your ECM and other electronics.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
bmxmon
Registered Member

maybe run longer bolts, through the starter, and out the back of the tranny. Then put nuts with locking washers or something like that on the bolt.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:21 AM   #7
Bo408
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by 88fivepointoh
sounds like you need to put some thread lock on them bolts and find out why they are coming out? Are the threads stripped.. it falls off and shorts out on the block, you can damage your ECM and other electronics.
Anyways, to be somewhat helpful from the half-a$$ed description you gave us, your car probably would not cut out if the starter was bad. The starter STARTS the car. If it don't do crap when you turn the key, then it's dead. If it was loose you'd have some major grinding noises, as the thing would beat the piss out of your flywheel.
It was a struggle to get it started right before it died (went bad)
Old 09-03-2004, 10:49 AM   #8
crazypete
Registered Member

I second bo408. The only reason it would "cut out" is if the side of the starter with the battery cable attachment point was contacting the frame at the time that you turned the key to start (and not while it's running. The starter only gets power when you turn the key to start). This would cause a huge surge and would flip the link coming off the starter solenoid opposite the starter cable. This feeds power to the rest of the car and everything inside the car would go dark, the computer and ignition system would lose power and the car would die.

I had a faulty link/switch (not sure what it's called) and you could slap the fender and the car would sponteneously die. Disconnect the battery and reconnect and everything was cool.

Next time it dies, just jump the wire around that little box inline with the fat yellow wire on the back terminal of the starter solenoid and see if it comes back to life. If so, replace that little sucker and no more problems.

I had a starter come loose at the top. It sounds like a minigun. If it comes loose in the bottom (which also happened to me) ....grind grind grind catch grind grind. Bad..very bad.

Just drill through the starter flange and the bellhousing to make a bigger bolt hole than the existing one. Then stick some serious boltage through there and double nut it. No way that's coming out! I actually stuck a smaller bolt through the existing hole and put and put a nut on that and it works better than the original bolt did.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior

Last edited by crazypete; 09-03-2004 at 11:49 AM..
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #9
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I agree with all these guys, the only way is if it grounded out against the frame..
Old 09-03-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

The thing crazy pete is talking about is the fusible link.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:38 AM   #11
Bo408
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
I second bo408. The only reason it would "cut out" is if the side of the starter with the battery cable attachment point was contacting the frame at the time that you turned the key to start (and not while it's running. The starter only gets power when you turn the key to start). This would cause a huge surge and would flip the link coming off the starter solenoid opposite the starter cable. This feeds power to the rest of the car and everything inside the car would go dark, the computer and ignition system would lose power and the car would die.

I had a faulty link/switch (not sure what it's called) and you could slap the fender and the car would sponteneously die. Disconnect the battery and reconnect and everything was cool.

Next time it dies, just jump the wire around that little box inline with the fat yellow wire on the back terminal of the starter solenoid and see if it comes back to life. If so, replace that little sucker and no more problems.

I had a starter come loose at the top. It sounds like a minigun. If it comes loose in the bottom (which also happened to me) ....grind grind grind catch grind grind. Bad..very bad.

Just drill through the starter flange and the bellhousing to make a bigger bolt hole than the existing one. Then stick some serious boltage through there and double nut it. No way that's coming out! I actually stuck a smaller bolt through the existing hole and put and put a nut on that and it works better than the original bolt did.
I have no Idea what you're talking about