MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-26-2002, 11:27 PM   #1
Marc91gt
Registered Member

Unhappy airbag woes

I've been driving around about a year with the annoyiing airbag code 6 flashing at me. I decided to fix it today, thinking it was probably the clockspring. I replaced it and $80 later it still flashes code 6. Any help on what to do next appreciated.
91gt: 3.73 rear, frp aluminium driveshaft, frp hd clutch, t5z, bbk control arms, polyurethane bushings everywhere, 5-lug conversion with black bullit wheels,paxton sn-89(now deceased after 11 years), offroad hpipe w/ flows, 130amp alt upgrade and a big wish list with little cash!
Marc91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:27 AM   #2
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

dont mean to sound like a smart arse here...but live with it...I had a very bad air bag experianece in my 93 2.3L....basicly...I was hugging the steering wheel while working under the colum...turned key to make sure everything was working...oh man did it work..when I woke up I lost hearing in my right ear sight in ym right eye...my chest face and arm where all badly burned and I was in my hatch (had front seat removed at the time) those are powerful things..they can save your life when you need it...but if you mess around it can also take it...had I been sitting 2 inches ower in the car it would have snapped my neck..in my 90 5.0LX I have now the bag is blown from a run in with a deer with the previous owner and I intend on it to stay that way....even if have to put up with tat little light...but if it really means that mush to you take it to a ford lot...let them deal with it...better to spend a few $$ than have your next snapped working on your car
No Substitute For Cubic Inches!
BURN EM UP
fivepointzero@kytnar.org

"Give 'Er Hell"
"They Call It Minute Rice..Gee Are Those Actually Track Times?"
Firemen: We Find 'Em Hot And Leave 'Em Wet"
Rice Haters Club Member #23 (GM Ricer Fads)
Gotta Love Hatin 'Em
CLUTCHES,FUEL PUMP RELAYS,FOUR CYLINDERS
5.0L_Of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:12 AM   #3
DZEE'S LX
Registered Member

Don't get too carried away with fixing airbag problems.
As stated they can be wicked if deployed accidentally.

I have the factory manual that specifically diagnosis each code. Many of the codes require you to disable the system before you do ANYTHING!!
I will be back on Jan 1st. PM me or post again with a specific description of how many flashes you get. All procedures in the manual are based on number of flashes.
I can even fax you the instructions for your error code.

BTW, My manual is for 1991. This may not help if you are way off from that model year.

DON'T MESS WITH IT UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!

Dan
Spec Service (UHP), BFG G-Force KDW's, Turbo Coupe 3.55 rear w/disks, 73mm calipers, Stg 1 Twisted Wedges, TFS Street Intake, 70mm TB, E cam, Crane 1.7's, Aeromotive FPR, BBK 1 5/8 shorties, elec fan, FMS Al Radiator, Moroso Wires, Kenne Bell Ramair, March pulleys, Race Magnums, 190 lph Walbro, FMS Al Dshaft, D/S loop, MM 4point rollbar, FMS C spngs, strut tower brace, Tokico Illuminas, Prothane bushings, MM Lwr Conrol Arms, KB welded subs, Cervini Mach 1 hood/valence/side skirts/wing/airdam.
DZEE'S LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:56 PM   #4
Marc91gt
Registered Member

Sorry, I've been away for a while and appreciate the responses. Don't worry, I won't be troubleshooting an armed system with the airbag in place. I have disarming procedures and code chart for the system but don't have a troubleshooting flow chart out of the 91 shop manual. I only changed the clockspring, which I have done on other vehicles, along with installation of cruise control and have all the safety procedures for that.
As for the code, it flashes code 6, which for the 91 system means a ground in the primary circuit. Usually this is just a broken clockspring. The problem would only occur on occaision, then clear itself if I drove a little, turned off the ignition and restarted the car. Eventually, it just flashed the code all the time. This is what made me suspect the clockspring. Now, unfortunately it looks like I have a ground elsewhere in the system. I am in no hurry to fix it and will get help when I do. Just looking to see if someone else out there had similar trouble after replacing clockspring. Thanks!
91gt: 3.73 rear, frp aluminium driveshaft, frp hd clutch, t5z, bbk control arms, polyurethane bushings everywhere, 5-lug conversion with black bullit wheels,paxton sn-89(now deceased after 11 years), offroad hpipe w/ flows, 130amp alt upgrade and a big wish list with little cash!
Marc91gt is offline   Reply With Quote