MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-28-2001, 01:18 AM   #1
wrathchild
Registered Member

Post Help aluminum headed motor has no power

I recently built a 306 with srp 10:1 pistons, twisted wedge heads, track heat intake, stage 1 cam, 70 mm TB, 76 mm mas, 30 lb injectors and a 255 lph pump. I also put a new clutch in while i was in the process.

So i get it in the car and start it up but, it wouldnt idle. Soi worked with it and got it to idle so i could set my timing and set my fuel pressure. I set the timing to 16* btdc and set the fuel pressure at 35 psi. Now the car pops alot. it will idle and rev ok but as soon as i try to move the car it starts to pop. I did have it not popping at all but I readjusted rockers. Before i readjusted the rockers it would let me give it gas but, had absolutely no power.

Can anyone PLEASE help me here i have tried everything. I dont have any disconnected vacuum lines. The only thing i can think of is on the bottom of the upper intake it has a connection that has three vacuum tubes coming out. 2 small ones and one big one. I connected the big on to a hose that come off the fire wall from where all the vacuum lines run to. The 2 small ones i couldnt find any vacuum lines for so i capped them.

I really need help.

wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 07:45 AM   #2
1989_351W
Registered Member

Sounds to me like a timing problem, but not sure. try 12 degrees and work from there.

------------------
Michael Wigton
1989 351 Windsor
1964 1/2 Convertible
1989_351W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 08:01 AM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Are you sure the rockers are adjusted correctly? That will make it feel like there is no power if they are too tight, I ended up 1/4 turn on my rockers to get them set right. Are you sure it was at TDC when you installed the distributor, it could be a tooth off.

Make sure you have the right firing order, I know that is something simple bu that will do it, and bump your fuel up to 38psi it slounds like the popping is a lean pop coming out the MAS.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
[b]12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78 60ft..no traction in the 90 degree
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 11:07 AM   #4
myred86gt
Registered Member

sounds like retarded timing to me. ford
hydraulic lifters(roller or not) like to
be preloaded 1/4 of their travel. looser
lifter preload gives you a smidge better
bottom end and throttle response. this
may sound dumb but have you plugged back
in your spout connector jumper? good luck!
myred86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 01:18 PM   #5
wrathchild
Registered Member

At the vacuum tree on the firewall are all 5 of the outlets used. If you are standing infront of the car the second one from the left is not used at the moment.

Old 09-28-2001, 01:20 PM   #6
wrathchild
Registered Member

I do not have fuel pressure with key on and motor not running. What should i look for to cure this?
Old 09-28-2001, 01:37 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Ground the lower right lead in the Self Test Connector. This will turn the fuel pump on.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 01:42 PM   #8
wrathchild
Registered Member

PKRWUD you lost me. Are these in the tank?
Old 09-28-2001, 02:02 PM   #9
PKRWUD

The Self Test Connector is under your hood. It's the house shaped connector that you use to pull codes. Look at the end of it, where the electrical connectors are, and think of it as a house. You want to run a jumper wire from the lower, right side connector to ground.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 09-28-2001, 09:28 PM   #10
John
Registered Member

The vacume lines on the intake are brake booster (big one), fuel press. regulator (small one towards passenger side), and emissions BS (small one on drivers side), I believe. Also isnt the stock fuel pressure w/ vacume line disconnected 43 psi? John

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core , FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Flowmasters, 73 mm MAF, cobra intake and crower #512 cam,
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 03:04 AM   #11
wrathchild
Registered Member

ok i got all the vacuum lines right now. Got the car idling and running. It feels stronger than my stock motor at ahlf throttl but, At WOT it boggs bad. It even popped once on me in 3rd gear at WOT.

I have no fuel pressure with key on and motor off. I have no fuel pressure after i run the motor and shut the key off. I DO have fuel pressure while the car is running.
The gauge is good. I checked it on a friends car. This same problem persist with the stock regulator and the kirban adjustable so, i am assuming that the regulaotr is good. The only thing i can think of is the pump. Should a 255 lph pump be loud? It is quieter than my stock pump. Also i didnt put the pump in. A friend did while i was working on the motor.

[This message has been edited by wrathchild (edited 09-29-2001).]
Old 09-29-2001, 04:41 AM   #12
PKRWUD

It could be leaky injectors, but I think it's definately pump related. It could also be a cracked fuel line inside the tank. You need to drop the tank and check things out. First off, though, you should clamp off the fuel line coming from the tank while the engine is running, and immediately have someone shut off the engine. Does the fuel pressure remain now? if so, it's an in-tank problem.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 09-29-2001, 12:01 PM   #13
wrathchild
Registered Member

Thanks man i will try that. I am going out right now to drop the tank.
Old 09-30-2001, 03:39 AM   #14
wrathchild
Registered Member

Well it turns out it was the fuel pump. WEll not the pump itself but, the house attached to the pump. I let some moron of a friend put it in and he must have use a torque gun cause the clamp was so tight the rubber of the hose was coming throught the clamp.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:40 PM   #15
PKRWUD

Wink

You have a house attached to your fuel pump??? Must be a big tank!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 10-02-2001, 12:28 AM   #16
wrathchild
Registered Member

haha typo.
i meant hose.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:20 PM   #17
NewAge 5.0
Registered Member

My car pops sometimes too.. seemingly like when its cold like its not getting up to temp. runs strongs though just pops sometimes.. any help here is greatful too

------------------
SOLD THE 87GT, .. GT40, 70mmTB, 75mmBullet, 24lbinjectors, cold air induction, Edelbrok 6025 Rpm's, Inch phonolic spacer, tall FMSvalve covers, an SFI balancer, Canton 7quart, the shortblock... Lunati 51025 (224/232 .535/. 544 @112 deg) Ross lightweight pistons (10:1) Eagle H-Beams, Total Seal plasma Moly Rings, Clevite bearings, ARP throughout, FMS main Girdle&Studs, Forged Crank, of course HV-OilPump and hardened FMS shaft, Dual Friction centerforce, T5, and 4.10's Longtubes and 2.25 tail pi
NewAge 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote