MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
msunickb
Registered Member

Angry Oil anyone?? Made a little mistake...

Alright, I just read something here last night that surprised me, and unfortunately, worried me a bit. I bought this car about 3 weeks ago and changed the oil the first day I had it and was very surprised to see that only about .8 of a quart came out. Of course, being an idiot, I assumed there was only that much oil in the car which really pissed me off.

Well now that I read last night that you should "loosen both drain plugs when you change oil and filter" and "The front plug will only drain about 3/4 quart" I realize I probably have like 9 quarts of oil in my engine...not good!

Anyway, I have put about 500 miles on it sense I changed the oil and I want to be sure I didn't screw anything up. If that was going to affect something negatively, what would it affect?

Thanks for the advice and for helping the moron...
Old 04-20-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Red face

Yikes! Well I guess if you dont have oil all over the place you're not in that bad of shape! It didnt over flow out the dipstick tube when you filled it? I had a friend that overfilled his oil once and oil was just comin out everywhere after he drove it...
Sicy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:58 PM   #3
dustang90
Registered Member

The only thing that would happen is you would burn some oil, and get oil on your plugs, change your plugs and that should be it. Can't thing of what else it should do
Old 04-20-2003, 11:04 PM   #4
Philossifer
Registered Member

I had a (non-mechanical) friend call me one day because he couldn't understand where all his oil was going!

My buddy (Loui) decided to change his own oil on that day.... After adding five quarts of oil with nothing on the dipstick, Loui broke down and phoned me.

I rushed over to his house and found a puddle of oil on the grass below his car.

Poor Loui forgot to re-install the drain plugs! Amazingly, he never bothered to look under the car; he just kept adding oil, quart after quart.

That was several years ago and I still "Raz" him about it!
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #5
msunickb
Registered Member

Nope...nothing overflowed at all. Coincidentally I noticed when I started the car yesterday to back it out of the garage to wash it a puff of whitish (oil) smoke came out of the exhaust, first time I had seen that, but didn't think anything of it.

I'll grab some plugs and oil the next dry day we have here and get that stuff changed.

Also, while I'm at it I'll change the pcv valve, I looked for just a couple seconds the other day and didn't see where it was at. Could you tell me where that is at too?

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:40 PM   #6
MEDIK418
Registered Member

The PCV valve is way back behind the upper manifold. There is a hole in the lower manifold way in the back where the valve sits. It's a lot of fun to get to but nimble fingers will prevail.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #7
msunickb
Registered Member

Oh good. I was hoping you say something like "it is very easy, just like the 95 prelude you had" but of course, that isn't the case.

Thanks, I'll take a looksie probably on Wednesday, supposed to rain Monday and possible snow flurries on Tuesday, woo hoo!! (sarcastic, very sarcastic)

Thanks again, I appreciate you guys putting up with me.

p.s. I just bid on the Chilton manual for my car, hopefully that will help me with this type of stuff.