MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
'84-5.0-LX
Registered Member

Default Help the new guy!

Hi folks,

Fantastic board! Glad to be the newest member. I'm hoping some of you out there may be able to give me some need advice. I have a tendency to ramble but I'll keep this as short and specific as possible.

My wife and I inherited a 1984 LX convertible with the 5.0 EFI 302. It only has 44k miles on it, and has probably only been driven 2k miles in the last 15 years. It's a fantastic, fun car with a lot of meaning to us.

Last summer we got her out and running, tuned up, lots of fuel injector cleaner and a few tanks of gas before the backfires stopped. We popped for a new top (badly needed) and blew our budget for the year.

Aahh spring...first we're putting in subframe connectors to stiffen things up (convertible.) The goal with this car is to put maybe 1K-2K into aftermarket stuff and try to suck as much happiness out of that 302 as possible. This is just a street car of course, but it seems like it's a great engine but is pretty restricted in this factory-stock car. I know enough to know that generally "air in, air out" comes first. So I put in a K&N filter, easy enough, and now it's time to consider air out.

Looking to add headers to replace those cast-iron manifolds and some sort of dual exhaust with either H or X pipe, Flowmasters or the like for that sweet rumble. Suggestions, anyone? I read alot about '86 on up 'stangs, but can't find a whole lot of aftermarket info on this EFI '84. Lots more questions about that EFI (vs. a carb swap), oxygen sensors, etc...but lets leave it at exhaust for now. Shorty vs. long headers, what will/won't fit, is ceramic worth it, cat vs. no cat, x vs. h pipe, etc...trying to keep within a small budget. Any and all info is much appreciated. Sorry so wordy...thanks everyone!
'84-5.0-LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
ragtop5point8
Registered Member

Default Re: Help the new guy!

hey, welcome aboard. Congrats on your first stang. For starters you did the right thing with the air filter, thats a nice cost efficient mod. I know you said your budget is about 1k-2k, which sounds like alot, but in this sport, unfortunately its not. You were in the right direction when you started talking about exhaust. that in my opinion is a great place to start. If you can do the majority of work yourself, youll find yourself alot happier, (and your wallet too). Definately start by ditching the cats. Throw on a off road H-pipe. That'll free up a few horses and for the most part is pretty cost efficient. Look around on the net and you could probably get one for $100. After doing that think about ditching the stock mufflers. Flowmasters are pretty decently priced and are usually pretty good sounding. Assuming your doing the work yourself you should have about $1500 to play with. The next thing you could do would be the headers..that is a personal opinion. Long or short etc. ceramics are worth it, but pretty pricey. An underdrive pully set also isnt a bad idea. It's a pretty easy 15-20 horses for under $100.(depending on the kind you get).An electric fan might do you nice, maybe even an electric water pump. The possibilities are endless..of course you could just spend the 2k on a supercharger..Good luck!!
ragtop5point8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
sdd228
Registered Member

a mustang isnt a mustang without some exhausts....plus the fact that your car is going to be a classic in another 5-10 years... i my self would keep it street legal...flowmasters with cats...to pass inspection and what not...basically what i have (sig) i would do first to any mustang....makes it quick off the start and sounds sweet, especally b/c it wont break the bank, and its a noticable difference!!!! GEARS GEARS GEARS
Nitto DR's 245/50R16
NOS hopefully 100 shot
sdd228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

want to wake your car up swap the ring and pinion to either a 3.73 or 4.10 ...bunch of exhaust systems out there to choose from - you want to keep your car street legal ...keep the cats and just get a cat back exhaust system - if not i'd lose the cats and go with an off road h or x pipe ...h for sound x for performance - if you want flowmasters id go with either a delta or super 40 ...the originals drone way too much after a while, delta is the quietest of the 3 while super 40 is somewhere inbetween

i really wouldnt waste my time with bolt ons - the gears/exhaust should be your first mods although this is just my opinion other people may have another say in the matter

good luck with the stang
Old 04-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
'84-5.0-LX
Registered Member

Hi folks,
I can't thank you all enough, you've given me some really good input. First things first, we're looking at an off-road H-pipe with Flowmasters, probably Deltas (no inspections around here so why not go off-road) and our guy at the local shop found us some factory Mustang headers off of an '86 that he thinks will work just fine- not super-efficient aftermarket ceramics, but cheap and much better than the existing manifolds. The gears are something I hadn't even considered, but sounds like an excellent next step after exhaust. I'm thinking 3.73 will do us real nice. I'll be sure to let you guys know how everything works out, thanks again for the input!
'84-5.0-LX is offline   Reply With Quote