MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
Carl Garcia
Registered Member

Question Emissions!

Please help - I need to take emission test this month. I have a 95 mustang gt, lots of aftermarket. mainly worried about passing this test though. I recently replaced my 02 sensors. I have a 93 cobra computer, and between that and some other mods, my check engine light usually comes on about 5 minutes of running. currently i have shorty headers, flowmaster mufflers, off-road x pipe, no cats, dumping at the rear axle. my easiest thoughts here to help my emissions is to just by pass my whole exhaust and put on some h-pipes w/ cats, only problem is 1) will this help a lot? 2) what are other major areas i need to worry about? 3) where the hell can i get the parts i need w/o wasting $1000 just to pass this stupid test to take the parts off again? im not completely savvy with cars, but i have some decent knowledge. any help would be appreciated.thanx
Carl Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:29 PM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Try pulling your codes and posting the results.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Pull codes, but I can tell you now the easiest way to pass will be with cats that work. A top fuel dragster could pass, if he had big enough cats.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:10 PM   #4
Carl Garcia
Registered Member

Thanks, I will try to get the codes.. last time i tried though, it was just coming up w/ an error, but i will try it again. ill let ya know what i come up with... and as far as the cats, i am convinced i will be getting them, any ideas where for cheap?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #5
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Garcia
Thanks, I will try to get the codes.. last time i tried though, it was just coming up w/ an error, but i will try it again. ill let ya know what i come up with... and as far as the cats, i am convinced i will be getting them, any ideas where for cheap?
If you have stock headers, or aftermarket shorties, you might be able to get a stock h pipe from a junk yard. If you have longtubes, you'll have to pony up the cash for a few cats, or a catted h or x pipe.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #6
Z28EATR
Registered Member

Default i passed, when i had to!!

when i still had to do emissions i was worried about the same thing, i hadnt had cats on the car for about two years, cause i was away in the military and if the car resides on the base i wasnt required. So anywho i came home and found a buddy with a stock h for my model car and thew them on, ran the piss out of it on the e-way and then went straight to the e-check center. It passed with flying colors, i kept my bbk shorty headers and flowmasters on by the way.
Best 60ft 2.19 YUK!!!!
Best Mph 98.9

Slicks
13.86 @ 97.9 mph
60ft 1.93 yeah!!!
Mod Specs
Z28EATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:37 AM   #7
Carl Garcia
Registered Member

that is exactly what i was trying to do to, but i dont know anyone w/ the same model/year. at least none that would be willing to let me 'borrow' their pipes.. i really would hate to have to spend the money on buying these parts that i dont really need.. im already doing searches online for junkyards though, cuz it doesnt seem like im going to find anyone to use their stock pipes w/ cats.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
Carl Garcia
Registered Member

Default there is hope!

OKAY, so I looked and found some pipes for really cheap.. but i want to make sure they will work. Im not sure how to verify this stuff, so if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. the pipes are 'supposed' to be for 79-95, 4 cats and mufflers. i got part numbers also:

F8ZC 5230 DB
2 1 096 8 A

Does this sound right? will there be anything else I need to make this switch to take the test? Thanx guys, this message board is awesome. I just joined this like 3 days ago, and im addicted. i find myself at work just reading everyone's posts, hoping to learn as much as possible. also - can anyone tell me how to edit my profile? still new to this thing... thx