MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2002, 01:04 AM   #1
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Default possible clutch problems (need help)

am recently hearing sounds (squeking or squeling) coming from under neath my 95 mustang gt. I am wondering if at all possible could this be my clutch or maybe even something to do with the transmission. When i engage the clutch pedal it gets louder but when i let off and put it in gear it is fine, when i am ideling in neutral it whines or hisses a little but not as much when engaged to be put in a gear. Could this problem be caused by low transmission fluid or can it be because of my aftermarket B&M shifter. Also i am wondering if anyone can help me out with another problem. whenever my car is running and warm for atleast a half hour or more she just shuts down, i try to start it back up but i get nothing, it turns over but no spark,when i let it cool down a little, it starts back up fine, i replaced the plugs and wires a few months ago and just re-did my cap and rotor, i am wondering if it could be from my coil, it is an msd blaster coil, i am not sure how old it is since it was installed when i purchased the vehicle, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:48 AM   #2
Beanhead
Registered Member

Hi!

10-1 says your throwout bearing is making noise! Funny you should post this tonight, as I just put my tranny and exhaust back on after installing a new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and rear oil seal at the crank.

Throwout bearings go all the time, its happened twice on my V6, and recently on my '94 Cobra, thus, my current clutch change.

It's one of those things that will either last you 5 minutes, or 5 years. For example, my V6 throwout bearing has had a little rattle for about a year now. The Cobra had a rattle for a long time, and just recently started to high pitch whine when it was cold, thus, indicating to me that it was about to go!

Your symptoms really point to the throwout bearing, because the circumstances you mentioned when the noise gets louder, is EXACTLY when the throwout bearing is being pushed into the pressure plate..... When you let off, and put it in gear, it's just sitting on the tranny input shaft not really doing anything, the, when you push that pedal down, WHAM, the bearing gets thrust right onto the pressur plate fingers. And if it's even slightly messed up, you will get some sort of noise.

One thing though, if it starts getting worse, don't drive it. If that bearing comes apart, not only will you not be able to shift, thus stranding your arse, but might cause a fair amount of damage to the clutch components and maybe even the tranny, and that's just not worth it!!!!

As for the stalling, you got me, I hope that someone else on here can solve that one for you!

Good luck, and if you have any questions on clutch replacements, let me know, I've become intimately familiar with it over the last week!!!
Old 11-02-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
Coupe50h
Registered Member

The stalling could be caused from the tfi module on your distributor, or weak fuel pump.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote