MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-14-2001, 06:22 AM   #1
bcinyuz
Registered Member

Wink Felpro Head Gaskets

Hey all you pony fans, Ive got a question about head gaskets. What Im trying to do is lower the compression on my engine. So in order to do that I was told that I should buy thicker head gaskets from felpro. I know what the thickness to get (.006") but dont know the part number. Could someone please tell me the part number so I could order them.THX :-)
bcinyuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 12:14 PM   #2
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

I think what you mean is .060", but even then it's not going to change your compression ratio very much.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 01:03 AM   #3
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Naw .006 would be about right for about a 1 CC worth of space. I think the Fel-Pro gaskets are 4.100 in dia and typically have a .041 compressed thickness. If you have a different gasket and it has a smaller compressed volume then that might help. the best thing to do is call Fel-Pro or get friendly with a parts guy so you can peruse the Fel-pro catalog and see if they have any engineering info on compressed gasket thicknesses. It takes about 4 cc to make 1/2 a point difference in compression. So if your going down something like a full point then thats a whooping 8 cc's. Or to put it another way. Sticking the piston .047 down in the bore would do the same thing. the problem here is increased area where unburnt fuel could hide. Increasing the engines tendancy to knock or minimize the fuel that could be burned costing you power.

So what are you are trying to reduce compression for?
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote