MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2001, 03:06 AM   #1
jmX
Registered Member

Post This chassis is as stiff as a wet noodle!

Ok guys, maybe my used 88GT has just had a hard life, but the cars chassis seems very flimsy. I have KB super subs on the car now and they helped a lot, but its still flexing. About once a month if I go up a steep driveway at an angle it'll pop my hatch open from flexing!

So, what else is there. Will a strut tower brace help much? Do they make bolt on rear shock tower braces that work with a fill interior in the car (ie, it just runs through the shock access panels).

I like the car a lot (had it for about 1000 miles), but if I cant make it feel good to me I'm selling it.

Jon
Stock '88 GT
450hp '00 Camaro SS
jmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 03:44 AM   #2
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
you could get g-brace, strut tower brace, upper & lower control arms, thats all i can think of.
hope this helps
p.s. dont sell your pony!

------------------
No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe (Sounds Mean), K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), 198.9 rwhp @4200 (235 Motor!!), 285 lbs-ft @2900 (336 Motor!!!).
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 02:57 PM   #3
5.0 Coupe
Registered Member

Full Length subframe connecters that are welded into place work the best. I use the Maximum Motorsports Chassis setup. Go to WWW.Maximummotorsports.com
I have a 90 coupe that had a lot of hard miles on it, once I installed the subframe connectors, g-brace & strut-tower brace it made the car much stiffer and handle much better.

------------------
89 (GR40 Griggs)LX
89 LX Coupe
90 LX Coupe
5.0 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 01:04 AM   #4
SlowWhiteGT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 Coupe:
Full Length subframe connecters that are welded into place work the best. I use the Maximum Motorsports Chassis setup. Go to WWW.Maximummotorsports.com
I have a 90 coupe that had a lot of hard miles on it, once I installed the subframe connectors, g-brace & strut-tower brace it made the car much stiffer and handle much better.
I have the MM setup too, and it helped a lot, but if you need stiffness in the back, hrmm maybe a pan hard bar and torque arm set up, those are for the rearend area.
SlowWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 01:18 AM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

A K-member brace would be nice also. Maximum Motorsports there too.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 02:21 AM   #6
jmX
Registered Member

Ok, what is a G-brace? I have long tube headers so it looks like a K-member brace is outta the question.

I'll be getting some maximum motorsport lower control arms soon, but thats more of a suspension piece rather than chassis stiffness.

So there is no such thing as a rear shock tower brace? I think that would fix my hatch from popping open.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jon
Old 01-29-2001, 03:24 PM   #7
93yelLE
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Umm, thru the floor 2X3" subframes and a 12pt.

------------------
93 yellow limited edition convertible
Black top/interior, 5-spd
3.73's, H-pipe, pullies
Best - 14.13 @ 96.5 on street tires
3650 lbs w/ me.

93yelLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 04:32 PM   #8
Skankin
Registered Member

G brace = k-member brace = lower chassis brace

You should try adjusting the hatch! Mine was way off... you could see where it was rubbing paint off. I could also tell that the body wasn't lined up properly when it was assembled... when it comes to mass production, Quality is really something like Job 69.

Sounds like a roll bar would be a good idea. Maybe something like the KB, so it's not too intrusive.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 05:10 PM   #9
RUSTANG
Registered Member

All the aftermarket braces will help but remember it's a unibody car and FORD also used crap metal in the floors. Ever welded anything to it? Sucks burns right through! Best bet to make it as stiff as a rock is full subframes and a cage. Anything less and it will flex!
RUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 11:47 PM   #10
Spark Checker
Registered Member

Cool

I have a strut tower brace and subs on for over 5 years I have found that the best stiffening parts I put on was jacking rails and a 4 point lower chassis brace. The jacking rails is a 3/4 square tube and a flat bar about 3/8 thick welded to the lower seam located under the rocker panels on each side of the factory seam. Those helped me a lot. I have a 91 GT and I remember that if I parked on a hump with a wheel on the hump the hatch would not close properly. After the jacking rails installed it was minimal twisting on the car. I would suggest that first. Of course a roll cage will help stiffen the car but jacking rails also help a lot. Just remember to have them welded on a flat surface (a wheel lift where all 4 wheels are on a pan) to keep the car flat like in a muffler shop.

Good Luck

------------------
See my mustang at prime-fe2.lvcm.com/sparkckr/pineapple.html
Spark Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 01:52 PM   #11
gofastlx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmX:
About once a month if I go up a steep driveway at an angle it'll pop my hatch open from flexing!
Ewww...If I were you I'd have that thing checked...take it somewhere, and have the sub-frames checked...Popping the hatch open sounds like something more serious..The best thing you can do for frame/body flex is frame ties, and you already have those. I'd have it checked.

Rob

Rob

gofastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 04:28 AM   #12
jmX
Registered Member

Guys, thanks again for the responses.

Where do jacking rails go? How are these different that the subframe connectors I already have?

As for the hatch popping open, I'm gonna make sure the hatch is aligned properly. its always been hard to shut and hard to open so i'm thinking I just need to tweak it a bit. Maybe I should add the kenny brown matrix sub stuff as well before I go crazy with a 4 point roll bar.

I'm gonna order a MM strut tower brace tomorrow..from my limited time on this board it seems MM is the place of choice for suspension/chassis stuff.

Jon
'88GT