MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-18-2001, 07:14 PM   #1
LOCASH
Registered Member

Question WHERE CAN I GET REBUILD KIT FOR AOD?

I have an AOD out of an 85 Capri and I want to rebuild it myself. Could you guys tell me about some experiences with tranny companies
and maybe recommend some one for the parts. I have the Haynes and I am ready to go

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Steeda G-trac and subs, Strut bar.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 11:47 AM   #2
Dangerous Dave
Registered Member

I've had a few friends use the TCI rebuild kit and one use the Artcarr kit. The Art Carr was around $400 I believe and had the kevlar clutch's and some higher performance parts and the TCI's for about $200 in Jegs-and I don't think they are the real high performance clutchs like the Art Carr but i have 2 friends running theirs with manual valve bodies and t-brakes and low 12's with no problems-been running for 2 years.

------------------
1988 GT-under construction
Dangerous Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 02:40 PM   #3
Josh91
Registered Member

I would recommend the Art Carr super rebuild kit. It has a lot of high performance parts in it that the TCI may not have.

------------------
1991 Mustang GT - Cobra Intake, FMS 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, GT-40P heads, Crane 2031 cam, Crane 1.7rr, Built AOD, Art Carr 2400 non-lockup converter, Transgo shift kit, BBK chrome cold air, FMS 'P' headers, Pacesetter off-road H, BBK aluminum pulleys, 2-C Flows w/ dumps, 4.10's, Steeda STB, for now...

The Original GT-40P Tech Page
Josh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 03:29 PM   #4
Moxie
Registered Member

Transmission Specialties also makes a good kit for $200. It includes clutches, steels, gaskets, rings, filters, and other small parts.

------------------
Moxie Racing
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 09:27 PM   #5
rbatson

When I had the wide gear ratio installed in my aod the tranny guy said it was complete. He said all he had to do was take the old inners out and put the wgr in. I think it cost me $550 for the wgr, he charged me $300 labor.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 01-20-2001, 09:39 AM   #6
macx
Registered Member

1stI'd check www.baumannengineering.com - he says pre-88 AOD's are not worth working because they have inferior rear geartrain lube and are probably shot, also wear out quicker. Don't know if you can swap in later model parts or not. 88 & up AOD's out of 5.0 Mustangs are best common AOD. I did mine, used Art Carr kit because of what's in it. Also recommend their 2-3 "zero leak" accumulator and A od servo. You need a shift kit with "cutback" elimination (eliminates the pressure drop for the 2-3 & 3-4 shifts), Baumann good. Lentech has great valve bodies - check their website www.lentechautomatics.com. YOu need special bushing drivers esp to get at the rear case bushing (from inside), and special lip seal installers for the seals in the clutch drums - I made out of alum cans, but real bear! The AOD out of a couple years of late model pickups have all the good stuff, incl the wide ratio. they may be longer tailshafts, but that stuff can be swapped. Better is AOD/E with good quality stock rebuild, $400 electric control box. Same bottom line and building/upgrading a plain AOD but end up with better trans. by all means check Baumann's site.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote