MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
BaLListic
Registered Member

Default 351w Sportsman II block.....

anyone actually used one of these? im looking at buying one and starting this 408 off right... Also can anyone help me out with a nice 408 proven combination????
BaLListic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: 351w Sportsman II block.....

Quote:
Originally posted by BaLListic
anyone actually used one of these? im looking at buying one and starting this 408 off right... Also can anyone help me out with a nice 408 proven combination????
Hey man, Whats up!
So you decided on a stoker windsor, cool... I can't personally tell you good or bad about the sportsman II block, but it's got to be stonger then the production block. As goes for your 408 combo, it would depend if your going with EFI, or carb. I would make sure it was set up for a roller. (Hyd, or Solid it's your choice) . To be quite honest, you are the one that will be driving this thing and spending all the money so, what I did and was quite accurate was the desk top dyno 2003 version. You can get it from Jegs or Summit. Now its not 100 percent accurate but you get to make a lot of intellegent decisions on your combo, due to the fact you know how much or how little power you want at a given range. You get to see what the differece is going to be on 10 to 1 compression verses a 10.5 to 1 compression engine! Everybody is going to give you a diffent combo that will make power, but the big question is...is that how you want your car. All of us are different, and what works for Joe Blow down the street going 10.50's might not be the way you want you're car to go 10.50's!
You can look at my combo if you like, that is set up to run easy mid-10's on pump gas. Just jet the carb for that day and go. You might want EFI, that would take a diffent intake and stuff. But all of these things you can pick on the Desk Top Dyno and make you own decesion. Sorry for all the misspelling .
Good luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
BaLListic
Registered Member

basically this is gonna be an EFI corner carving street car... Im not very interested in drag racing mostly just interested in having a very high horsepower super car.... Looking at the sportsman 2 block with a set of EFI heads a CSS or CHP 408 rotating assembly. Ontop of that a set of 205cc AFR heads with a custom grind hydraulic roller cam with a Victor 5.0EFI intake or a Spyder... Bit undecided on alot of my components.... The other things im having issue's with is beefing up the chassis... What should i do to prepare for this? sub frames and beefing up the torque boxes? other that that i dunno... Im guessing ill need a new rear end and transmission eventually also... for the tranny i believe ill probally just get a world class T-5 or a TKO as far as the rear end i have no idea.... basically thats my setup im looking at doing... Hopefully it will work out and thanks for your input and suggestions are welcome
Old 12-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BaLListic
basically this is gonna be an EFI corner carving street car... Im not very interested in drag racing mostly just interested in having a very high horsepower super car.... Looking at the sportsman 2 block with a set of EFI heads a CSS or CHP 408 rotating assembly. Ontop of that a set of 205cc AFR heads with a custom grind hydraulic roller cam with a Victor 5.0EFI intake or a Spyder... Bit undecided on alot of my components.... The other things im having issue's with is beefing up the chassis... What should i do to prepare for this? sub frames and beefing up the torque boxes? other that that i dunno... Im guessing ill need a new rear end and transmission eventually also... for the tranny i believe ill probally just get a world class T-5 or a TKO as far as the rear end i have no idea.... basically thats my setup im looking at doing... Hopefully it will work out and thanks for your input and suggestions are welcome
\
Hello, well I would recommened some sort of chassis reinforcement, like a street cage or something, to that nature. Try to get the car scaled so the weight is as close to 50/50 balance. Ohh yea plus some huge brakes too!
Good luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
BaLListic
Registered Member

Default huge brakes ooo yeah...

yeah prob gonna throw on a set of huge baer's after finishing the engine....
Old 12-09-2003, 08:39 PM   #6
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I would check out www.adperformance.com and use a quality Scat or Eagle rotating assembly...not that Coast High crap (IMO). I would consider a very short runner intake like that Spyder though...the 408W will easily use it for breathing. That or something like the new TFS box upper on their lower if they can mate to the 351W lower. Good choice on the heads, but remember the 205's don't have hydraulic spring setups direct from AFR. TFS-R heads would be a good choice also. If you have no plans for nitrous, there are a few things you can change around in the rotating assembly to lose weight and make it rev quicker such as using I beam rods and lighter pistons. Light rotating mass makes for great topend, especially on a stickshift car.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
BaLListic
Registered Member

hmmm that hydralic spring thing is an issue... any idea if someone offers a setup for that aftermarket????
Old 12-10-2003, 10:15 AM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I strongly caution you against buying anything made by World Products.

My brother bought a set of World products sportsman II heads brand new out of Summit. We installed them and the motor smoked bad!! We took them to the machine shop and the heads were so far out of spec that the valve seals wouldnt seal and were beyond repair.

We contacted world products before and after taking them to the machine shop. We told them what the machine shop had found and they said that there heads are engineered for racing and it is not un common for race cars to smoke and that they would do nothing for us.

Lesson learned for us we now have a $1,000.00 set of paper weights

World Products does not stand behind there products.

They Suck!!!!!! The machine shop said that those were the worst cast heads they had ever seen.

Consider yourself warned
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:11 PM   #9
BaLListic
Registered Member

Default world products...

world products being brodix heads?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #10
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

World Products being Dart blocks. Just be warned that what they say for the block's requisite level of machining is not the real case - they need a fair bit of prep work. Decked and squared, line honing, finish the bores, and indexing the lifters bores are all a good start. You will need to drill and tap for the lifter spider as well, as they don't come ready to run hyrdraulic cams from my understanding. As far as the springs in the heads go, that's an easy swap if you buy the heads from a reputable shop.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:52 PM   #11
DblAdigger
Registered Member

Default NOT the same!

FYI, World Products,(New York) and DART,(michigan) are NOT the same company.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
Moxie
Registered Member

Default block machining

The Dart blocks are line honed already. Decks are within .005". Cylinder bores are left .010" under for finish honing. The lifter bores are finished to within .001". Due to the variety of lifters, you may have to touch up the lifter bores depending on lifter choice. OEM hydraulic rollers will not fit without machining. Crane drop-in lifters are the easiest route. Early blocks were not drilled for the spider, although that is now performed on newer blocks.
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote