MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-10-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
srv1
Get down.....

Question would this combo work? need suggestions!

i will most likely have this combo. i want your experienced opinions on this. What to do and what not to do. Here is the list:

GT40P's-Ported or unported?
TF Track Heat intake.
24lbs Inj.(tnx UltraFlo)
73Maf
1.7's-should i ditch the 1.7's for the 1.6's?
70mm TB-65 better?
255 LPH fuel pump
cam-custom grind but from who?

the rest is in my sig. You tell me what i should do and what i shouldnt do. My goal would be to get close to 300 at the wheels, but i dont think it is going to happen, but that may change from you guys/gals. Thanks, James
Old 12-10-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Sounds good to me. I think i would at least port match and clean up the chambers and the valve guides on the gt40p's.
My feeling on the rockers is the higher ratio serves only to get you a little more lift and duration but it also puts more stress on the cam lobes, lifters and pushrods ... so go with the 1.6's and get the lift and duration you want to begin with, then if you need to bump it up a bit change to the 1.7's
The custom grind cams i just don't understand. Alow me to play devils advocate on that one. If you are running your particular combination over and over for a long season or seasons and you're at that point where you know your combo like the back of your hand and need to squeeze that last bit of horsepower out, then go to a custom cam grinder and have him change this or that a tad, but as an overall starting point, to think some guy with a little machine shop and a cam grinding machine knows more about what works with a general application than say Ed Iskendarian or Harvey Crane, is totally illogical to me ??? Those guys have been grinding cams since the very first days of this sport. They have ground probably 10's of thousands of camshafts. They have their cams in world record holders from VW beetles to top fuel dragsters and have had for years and years. So unless you've found yourself a genius (like Ed Iskendarian or Harvey Crane or Clay Smith) I'd stick to a cam that has years of engineering, trial and error and winning behind it. Thats my long winded feeling about the cam.
Not to get off subject but i'd love to hear from you custom grind guys about your reasoning, because it does puzzle me?
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:27 PM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

I didn't read down far enough to see that you already had the 1.7's In that case if they are in good shape i'd keep em and choose the cam accordingly. No use spending money just because you can !
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

Well the custom grind cam will be basically tailored for the combos i have. i know you can get some really good cams off the shelf. but this combo with be in the car for about a year or so. in the meantime i will most likely build a different motor. My custom cam guys? I am researching that now. It was my idea and no one elses. Since i am using a mix and match combo, wouldnt i assume that a custom grind would give me the most for my money? the brand new 1.7's will most likely go. i will get the 1.6's.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this?