MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Johnny Fort
Registered Member

Default no electricity to fuel pump...

Hey guys, haven't been around here in way too long.

What brings me back is a problem I've had with my car. About two months ago I tried to jump my car just like I have many times over the past eight years. I hooked it up to my Maxima and a wire that runs from the post that the positive battery connects to, started on fire. I pulled the jumper cables off, replaced the roasted wire, bought a new battery and tried again. Now I am getting no power to the fuel pump. The engine turns over fine, but the buzz from the pump that I normally hear when I put the keys in the ignition is gone. What did I do? I am considering having it towed to Firestone so they can do a dianostic check on it. The car stills runs spetacularly, so its a waste just sitting in the garage. Plus, its getting warm out here!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Brian-Mc
Registered Member

Default Re: no electricity to fuel pump...

There is several things you need to check..

1. see if the inertia switch is tripped in the trunk... behind the panel by the drivers side tail light.
2. check the fuel pump relay below the seat to see if it is clicking (if it is clicking, then you eec is triggering the relay to turn the pump on.
3. If the relay is not clicking... try to manually trigger the relay to come on. You can also jumper two of the wires at the diagnostic port in the engine compartment by the drivers side strut tower... if you jumper it.. your pump should come on.
4. if you can not get the fuel pump relay to trigger, then replace it with a known good one. If it is working, then measure the voltage on the 12V source wire and the wire that runs to the pump. I can post up a pic if need be to assist you on checking the relay.
5. if nothing works with the relay.. try to manually power the fuel pump at the inertia switch by applying 12V from the battery through a 15 amp fuse to the wire that goes to the fuel pump.

This should give you several options without having to pull the tank out of the car unless the fuel pump is actually bad. You could have caused one of the fusable links to go bad when the battery cable caught fire... the fire could have been caused from a dead short between the positive and negitive terminals of the battery and overheated from too much current through the wire.
Brian-Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: no electricity to fuel pump...

My vote goes to the relay, just swapped one out for a buddy yesterday, same problem.