MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
racerx0071
Registered Member

Default what do you guys think?

Hey guys...

I have an 88 lx vert, with 133k on it , I have a set of gt40p's to put on it and am going to put shorty headers to match the rest of my exh. , do I need special shorty's? do i need special plugs?
if so part numbers would be awesome.

I am also looking to do 1.7 roller rockers, will they work ok with the stock cam? and speed density?

I will try to upgrade at intake while i am there but I am running short on cash quickly.....

let me know how you think these items will work out...

Ray
racerx0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You will need "special headers" for your GT-40p heads.

The 1.7's will work awesome with the stock cam and speed density.

Definitely ditch the stock intake it will choke the S h i t outta good heads.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

you will not NEED special headers, but they would give you the most plug clearance.

I have personally ran both BBK unqual lenght shorty headers, and MAC longtubes with my P heads.
The shorties were pretty tight on plug clearance, and I had to use one 90degree spark plug wire. No special plugs, just autolite 104's
Plug clearance is fine on my MAC's now. I have 1 that is fairly close, but I just put a heat protective boot on that wire end, and its fine.

Find a used explorer intake somewhere for it. Its a great intake, especially for the price. My car ran VERY well with it.

1.7's will work great with the stock cam, although I would reccomend saving some cash and getting a mild aftermarket one for it (TFS stage 1 is a good, cheap choice)
Old 09-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
you will not NEED special headers, but they would give you the most plug clearance.

I have personally ran both BBK unqual lenght shorty headers, and MAC longtubes with my P heads.
The shorties were pretty tight on plug clearance, and I had to use one 90degree spark plug wire. No special plugs, just autolite 104's
Plug clearance is fine on my MAC's now. I have 1 that is fairly close, but I just put a heat protective boot on that wire end, and its fine.

Find a used explorer intake somewhere for it. Its a great intake, especially for the price. My car ran VERY well with it.

1.7's will work great with the stock cam, although I would reccomend saving some cash and getting a mild aftermarket one for it (TFS stage 1 is a good, cheap choice)
Hmmmm...I always heard that you had to buy special headers for the GT-40P heads. Thanks for the info.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

well, the reason that the special headers were made is because of the revised spark plug angle in the P heads.

The spark plug comes out of the head at a bigger angle (close to a right angle with the head) and this causes it to be fairly close to most aftermarket headers.
The P header primaries come out straighter and clear the plugs/wires.

But like I said, you won't NEED the P headers, but you will have the least amount of headaches with them. Although I don't really have any problems with my MAC's