MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2001, 09:34 PM   #1
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Angry Adjusting Rocker Arms

I have Crane 3/8" stud mount roller rockers for my edelbrocks. Lately they've a couple on the passenger side starting making more noise than normal, so all my friends said I should tighten them up.

Yesterday I took off the valve covers and tightened them up, using the method they all told me about. Making sure the lifter is on the heel of the cam, rotate the pushrod with your fingers and tighten til you can't rotate the pushrod anymore. Then screw the lock nut in, and viola.

Well today, I'm still having problems with the car running rough and feeling like its missing. ( I've only drove it around the block, just to see, that way I won't mess things up too much I hope). Anyways, between downpours of rain, I mangaged to check the passenger side, and get those fairly well, now it runs a bit smoother, but not the same.

I need some advice here... Should I just start fresh and do them all again? Or just check the driver's side first and see? I just hate doing that side cause I have to remove the upper intake (Edelbrock Performer w/ 3/8" spacer) and then get to the vavle cover. Any thoughts? I will also check my plugs out as well, just in case... Sorry for the length.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 09:56 PM   #2
crewzin
Registered Member

I like to adjust mine with it running. This requires a extra valve cover that you cut in half and then adjust while running. It works great. Alot of times people who dont have a lot of experience setting the valves get it off a little, its easy to do. If the lifter leaks down while tightening.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #3
jimmyjamed
Registered Member

You need to add an extra half turn after you can't spin the pushrods with your fingers. The Rockers not being adjusted right will cause the problems your seeing. Your basically not getting full lift from your cam and have excessive play causing loss of power and noise.
Go ahead and readjust all of them , giving them half a turn after you can't rotate the pushrods with your fingers.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

Wow ...I never had mine that tight.

The way I do them is as soon as the push-rod is hard to turn.... I lock the poly lock.

The time you adjust them is also very critical too!

I use the following method.....
As soon as the intake reaches full lift...I set the exhaust.
As soon as the exhaust starts to open I do the intake.

That's the way I do it and yet to have any problems or issues. I also check to make sure the lifters are in good shape as well as the proper valve train geometry.

86gt have you checked to make sure you have the proper push-rod length?
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #5
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Wow, this is an old thread....

I've figured out how to do a short while after posting this, so that's almost 3 years ago now. Time flies. Nice having a carb'd setup to adjust everything while running.

Anyway, thanks for the help I guess..
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote