MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Post Quick wreck and insurance question concerning cats

I had a little fender bender this Saturday and have an appointment with the insurance people tomorrow at 9:30 in the morning. Currently I have no cats on my car and I am wondering if I should throw my old hi-flow catalytic H-pipe back on there... or will they even look. The damage is all to the passenger side body (door, front and rear fenders). Will they look under the car if this is the only damage? Thanks.

------------------
MAC equal length headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 373's, March ram-air kit, underdrive pulleys, 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Saleen Intake (ported), Edelbrock 6037 heads (ported, polished, 3 angle valve-job 255CFM @.500), 1.6 FMS RR's, Wolverine 1087 Cam, 24lb injectors, MSD 6AL, Subframe connectors, Griggs Adustable Lower Control Arms, Lakewood 50/50 shocks, SSM Upper Control Arms... and probably some more in there I forgot
gt93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:37 PM   #2
roadrunner93
Registered Member

I don't know the laws and regulations in your area, but I don't see why they would care if you had convertors or not. It had nothing to do with the accident, so don't worry about it.
roadrunner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:41 PM   #3
Green92LX
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry either. I've been in bigger stinks with no cats on my cars. Around the CT area, they say 75% of people don't know the difference in sound with or without the cats, and the 25% that do know don't care if you have them or not.

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:43 PM   #4
gt93mustang
Registered Member

That's kinda the direction I was leaning in. Thanks for your input! I guess I just needed some reassuring. I appreciate it.
gt93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
autoX
Registered Member

Quick story-
I was shopping for insurance one time and I was asking the agent what would happen if I totalled my car after I spent a bunch of money on performance parts. I told him that I autocross race my car and he plugged his ears and was like "Don't tell me that!" I didn't understand, so I probed him some more. He said, "My adjustors aren't stupid. They know what a roll-cage, racing harness and bigger brakes are for! Even if you get in a one car accident on a icy road, my adjustors might pay out for the accident, but you better believe that we would drop you right afterwards!" I was pissed! I was like, "Let me get this straight, if I have awesome brakes, a safety roll-cage, and a racing harness in my car - all of which are designed to save my tail in an accident, you will drop me no matter whose fault it is?!" I don't have to tell you his answer. Needless to say I never switched insurance companies and I don't dare tell them that I race my car. The moral of the story is - insurance folks just don't understand, so if they see a bunch of performance mods on your car, they are apt to think you are just a hazard to them... Just be careful...

------------------
Red '90 GT - My Daily Driver w/ Kenny Brown braces & Springs, 6 KYBs, Caster/Camber Plates, Factory Five Control arms, Poly Bushings, 3.55 gears, Hurst shifter, Dynomax cat-back, Cervini 2 1/2 cowl, & Polished ROH ZR6 wheels... Griggs torque-arm and panhard bar waiting for installation!
My other toys:
Viper Blue '85 GT Convertible - Just restored and almost on the road!
Black '95 VW Jetta VR6 - To be sold as soon as the Convertible is on the road!
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote