MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
PurduePete
Registered Member

Question 3G alternator kits???

Hey all,
I am really wanting to do the 130amp upgrade to my car. My problem is that I can only find one place to buy a complete kit. I could probably piece it together myself, but I would rather have everything together from the start.
So my question is, where is the best place to buy the complete kit for the least amount of money? ( The only place I've found is PA-Performance and they want like $260 for everything ). If anyone knows of any place other than PA let me know.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Go to a junkyard and get the alternator and buy the wires and terminals for a few dollars more. Do a search here and on google.
Falcons Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Ramchargers in Michigan has them. I was in there recently and noticed a customer bought one with an upgraded power cable and plugs. Hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:37 AM   #4
RPM427
Registered Member

Just go into your local parts store and buy a OEM alternator for a 1994-95 stang. Then go to a stereo shop and pick up some 4 guage wire, ends, fuse (150 amp), and fuse holder.

I did this conversion on my 91 GT and it is working great, I can have my stereo turned up with all my accesories and my battery still charges.

I posted some pics here: http://forums.mustangworks.com/showt...ght=alternator

Don't waste your money, the "kit" is nothing special. Just go out and buy what you need.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:15 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I did the G3 swap myself and it only cost me $100.

Just like RPM427 said, go to your local autoparts store and buy an alt for a 94 or 95 GT. Here are a few "How To" links with pictures...

http://www.racesystems.com/3gproj/index.htm
http://www.westsidemustangs.com/modu...showpage&pid=8
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #6
mpj76
Registered Member

I got mine at a local electrical motor rebuild shop. The wiring is super simple. The guys at the shop showed me what to do since I had an external regulator (ex FHP car). You will have to grind down the bracket by a very small amount. I did it with their grinder in their parking lot. Its a 15 minute job. Just don't be in such a hurry that you forget to disconnect the battery. I did that once. When I dropped my hot wire off the back of the alternator, it almost welded itself to the fuel rail!
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:56 PM   #7
raptor
Registered Member

http://www.racesystems.com/3gproj/index.htm
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote