MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Default newbie here, need some help with my 84 5.0

Hi guys, great site ya got here. I recently purchased a 1984 mustang 302, and it has holley 750 carb, fireball cam, aftermarket headers(dont know what brand, but it's an h pipe design), and 3.73 gearing, with posi trac rear. My problem is that the other day, I was backing out of my buddie's drive way, and I didnt let the car warm up enough, (very cold blooded), and it stalled out. Usually when this happens , I can start it right back up, but not this time. I kept on cranking till the battery died,(it's only got 550 cold cranking amps, is that too small?). Well anyways, it is getting gas (I can smell it for one thing, and for another I can see it in the see through filter attached on the line to the carb). I tried dry gas, recharged the battery, but it still wont start,(the engine turns over though). I tried tow starting it, but when you do, it sounds like it is only running on 3or4 cylinders, there is no throttle response, and it dies when you push the clutch in. I had something like this happen to my tri-z before, and it turned out to be a loose ground wire on the sparkplug coil. Well I borrowed a multi meter, and tried testing my ignition coil (I said tried because I am not an electrical genius), well anyways, I set the meter to 2m ohms, for the primary terminals, and I got a reading of 0.001, and then I set the meter on 20m ohms, and got a reading of 0.02 for the secondary. Now I dont know much about electronics, but shouldnt I be reading more than that? To make things even more difficult, I bought a brand new coil for an 84 5.0 today, and the terminals arent threaded, which pissed me off, so I decided to test it for the hell of it, and I got the exact same reading for the new coil. Am I doing something wrong? Is it the duraspark box or the battery maybe(I recharged it, but could a low powered battery keep it from starting)? Distributor cap? How do the blaster coils perform? Is there any way to test the duraspark box? Could it be anything else? Sorry about the book, but any questions or comments on what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated, thanx
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
sedanman
Registered Member

Hook up a timming light, then wrap it around each wire if it lights up when you are cranking it means you are getting spark in that wire check all eight. Let me know what the results of this test are.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Should I try putting a sparkplug in the wire from the coil to the distributor, and see if it sparks? That would rule out the coil and duraspark unit correct? What is this tfi module I have been reading about? Could this be it?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
sedanman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 Fiend
Should I try putting a sparkplug in the wire from the coil to the distributor, and see if it sparks? That would rule out the coil and duraspark unit correct? What is this tfi module I have been reading about? Could this be it?
That will tell you how the ign system is working up to the dist. and cap and rotor.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

So if I get a nice blue spark, I should look lnto the distributor/wires and plugs?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
sedanman
Registered Member

Well if you use a timming light you don't have to worry about the spark or getting shocked it will light up when there is spark present. You are correct though.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Well, I dont have a timing light at this point in time, so I will have to try the sparkplug method.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Well, today I bought a brand spanking new msd blaster 2 coil, and it did not solve my problem. When I put a sparkplug in my wire from the coil I get a dim yellow spark, (shouldnt it be a bright blue?). I checked the spark on one of the plugs coming out of the distributor, and it is about the same as off the coil, a dim yellow. What's next? My duraspark box? (it has a green grommet). My battery is dying rather quickly, there is no ground coming off of the negative post, and it is only a 550 cold cranking amp battery,shouldnt it be bigger, a 750 maybe?) could a bad battery have enough power to turn the starter, but not enough to fire the engine? (it's been charged up numerous times though). Could a short be causing these problems? The only response I got today, was when I first tried to start it after installing the new coil, it started for about 2 seconds but sounded rough. Is there anything else that is before the duraspark box that has to do with the ignition circuit? Any fuses I should check (I would think it wouldnt be a bad fuse, since there is some spark).
Old 03-22-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

What is this ignition regulator I have been reading about? Could this be it?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:58 PM   #10
sedanman
Registered Member

Granted your spark does not sound too hot. I think your car may have jumped a tooth on the timming chain. Check the timming it should be around 10-14.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

My engine should still start even though the timing is off correct? How do you go about checking the timing on a 302? I have mostly only timed quads, and diesel engines. Will I need a timing light, please tell me that I dont have to tear the whole front part of the engine off. Wait a minute, if the timing was off, wouldnt it just be throwing the spark at the wrong time,but it would still have a strong spark?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #12
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Anyone, this is my daily driver.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:40 PM   #13
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Well, today I got my battery and duraspark ignition module tested, and they both failed, hopefully this will fix my car.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #14
sedanman
Registered Member

Well both of those parts could cause problems. Let us know how this works out.

As for timming if your timming is way off the car may not start or it will sound awful and or back fire.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Well guys, I found my problem. After buying a new duraspark, the engine wanted to start, but still wouldnt. Checked for spark at plugs, checked out good, coil-good, plugs were soaked with fuel. Spark and fuel, but no fire? Well decided to take my aircleaner off, and as it turns out, my choke valve was stuck closed, with a small wack of a screw driver, it opened it up, turned the key, and wammo! It's alive! It shot a lot of fuel out of the exhaust, and smoke for a while, and then it cleared up, but I found a far worse problem, it's under my new thread Please Help! Car is leaking oil like a sieve! Well anyways, thanx for all the help guys, It did turn out to be something reather simple that I should have checked out first.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #16
sedanman
Registered Member

It's always nice when it turns out something simple.