MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default leak from timing chain cover

Leaking coolant from the timing chain cover. My shop will be doing the work. The motor is stock w/ 130,000 miles. I also will have the stock timing chain replaced with a double roller, as I assume the stock chain must have some slop after all those miles. Any recommendations on one? Is this like a 4-5 hour job?

Also, anything else I should have done while he's in there?
(don't say heads, cam, intake, can't afford it right now)
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: leak from timing chain cover

R U Sure it's coming from the chain cover? Is there any antifreeze in the oil? Sometimes when the water pump leaks out of the weep hole, it'll run down and drip off of the cover. Might just need a pump (read as: Cheaper!) If you have to go in that deep, change the timing chain, front seal, and have them flush the cooling system before refilling it.

Good-Ta-Go!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

yeah, my mechanic confirmed the timing chain cover leak. i told him to change the timing chain and flush out that shitty dexcool (i know, finally!) and put green back in. also gave him a set of FMS silicone hoses to throw on.

front seal????
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
Old 03-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I think I can do it in less than 4 hours, but that's me. The front seal is in the timing chain cover. It seals off of the harmonic balancer. It comes in the timing cover gasket set, but I would still remind the mechanic to change it. No more than it costs, I would recommend getting the whole three piece timing set (two gears and chain).
Old 03-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

add a 2 year old Stewart Water pump to the bill, it was totally corroded, thanks dexcool. i assume dexcool put the finishing touches on the timing cover gaskets.... i can't believe my old mechanic recommended dexcool and put it in, i wish i knew more back then. i feel like paying him a little visit................

i wonder how many more dexcool related problems i will encounter in the future. i think the copper rad and heater core (copper?) are ok, but all those old gaskets will make me lose sleep
Old 03-04-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

How long was the orange "Kool-Aid" in there? If not long, change the thermostat & gasket, cuz that'll be next. Flushing the system should get any lodged crud outta the heater core (remind your wrench to flush that side too, not just the engine). If you've had that orange GM junk in there for say 30,000 to 40,000 miles, plan on intake gaskets sometime in the future. Longer than that? Start thinking head gaskets. Not wanting to rain on your parade bro, just telling you what I've seen happen. Had a GMC truck in my shop that was born with Dex-Crap in it, and at 64,000 miles I had to put new heads on it. It's got good-ole-green in her now.

On a sideline, I've had really good luck with the Prestone "yellow" (looks green to me!) "mix with anything" stuff.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 03-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

jester, that orange crap was in there for 2 yrs, about 20,000 miles. tstat and gasket were also changed today, mechanic said it was going downhill. he flushed the entire system. he finsihed it up and said it ran well. then he let it cool down and was gonna start it up again and now he says its not starting..............great...........it never f'ing ends
Old 03-10-2005, 06:29 AM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

TFI would be my guess. Those things are soooo damn quirky.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 03-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i went in monday morning with a new TFI module i was planning to install one day, the original had 130k miles! even though we changed it, that was not the problem. a stock wire going to the firewall by the master cyl. become exposed and grounded itself to a nut, killing the entire car. WHATS ARE THE CHANCES! they were not even working in that area. oh well, back in business now.

new ford timing gears/chain (stocker was still pretty good)
new waterpump (old one was 2 years old and gunked up bad)
new 195 tstat/gasket
new timing cover gasket set
new oil pan gasket
oil change
install ford silicone hose set (i supplied them)
install TFI module (i supplied it)
flushed dexcool out and put in greeen
diagnose and fix the electrical problem and bypassed 2 alarms

$880
Old 03-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Not bad! Might be a bit cheaper here, but evidently our labor rate ($45/HR) is lower than most. Spent some cheddar, but gots new parts, and she's ready to roll!!! Not to mention ya got the Kool-Aid the hell outta there.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 03-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #11
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

yeah most here in NYC are $70-75/hour. guess thats the cost of living. to be honest, i think the cost of living in NYC has gone up in the past 5-10 years at a much higher rate than wages, don't think i will be here forever. as usual, thanks for your help jester.