MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-16-2001, 01:24 AM   #1
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Post Easiest Way To Install BBK 1-5/8" Equal Legnth Shortys?

thats the question.....

i am planning on putting them on tomorrow at lunchtime.

thanks

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed Air SilencerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 03:11 AM   #2
StreetStang37
Registered Member

I don't know but I'm pretty sure it'll take longer than your lunch.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & 2 1/2 in. Flowmaster Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Nitto DragRadial, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:54 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The drivers side is easy money just swap them out. The pasenger side you will have to take the bolt out of the passenger side motor mount and jack up the motor a little bit. You will also have to remove all the hoses that go to the smog pump.

When you lower the motor back down just keep wiggling the header to make sure that nothing is in a bind.

The job will take an hour or two.

GOOD LUCK

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 09:54 AM   #4
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Shorties won't be too hard to put in. But not on a lunch break. Even with equals you shouldn't have to jack up the motor, just swap them out. The passenger side does have a lot of smog hoses, etc in the way that need to be removed. And with Equal length shorties you'll have a bit of a pain with installing header bolts and spark plugs. The best thing to do is take your time.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 09:57 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 86GT:
Shorties won't be too hard to put in. But not on a lunch break. Even with equals you shouldn't have to jack up the motor, just swap them out. The passenger side does have a lot of smog hoses, etc in the way that need to be removed. And with Equal length shorties you'll have a bit of a pain with installing header bolts and spark plugs. The best thing to do is take your time.
YOU DEFINITELY HAVE TO JACK UP THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE MOTOR.

TRUST ME, BEEN THERE DONE THAT

You might could get them in without jacking up the motor if you beat in the outside of the tube with a hammer.

witchever you decide to do good luck

with the bbk equal length shorties the spark plugs are easy as hell to swap out

[This message has been edited by 5.0 HO (edited 08-16-2001).]
Old 08-16-2001, 08:13 PM   #6
89 ATI
Registered Member

You don't have to jack up the motor. Mine slipped right in with no problem. Worst part of the job is removing all the smog hoses.

------------------
89 GT convertible, Kenny Brown level 5, 14# Procharger, Best ET 12.92@112.74
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:21 PM   #7
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I've helped my best friend put in a set of BBK 1 5/8" equal shorties in his 86 Capri without having to touch a motor mount. The only headers I've ever had to jack up the motor for were long tubes.

Dumb question, why do they call Equal Length shorties "Spaghetti Pipes?" or "Burn Pipes?"

Unequal shorties are the easiest to install and don't need to have the motor jacked up either. Of course they don't make as much power though
Old 08-17-2001, 07:28 AM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

There is no way in hell that you can be talking about "BBK 1 5/8 equal length shorties" if they slipped right in. I tried to put mine in without jacking up the motor on the passenger side and there was no way.

Maybe the 1 1/2 will go in without jacking up the motor.

I would have never gotten mine in without jacking up the passenger side of the motor to put in the passenger side header.

They may drop into a capri I dont know but a capri is not a mustang.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:02 AM   #9
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 HO:
There is no way in hell that you can be talking about "BBK 1 5/8 equal length shorties" if they slipped right in. I tried to put mine in without jacking up the motor on the passenger side and there was no way.
They did, I helped put them in, the latest was in a stock engined fuelie 86. It'd be a pain if the motor mounts were different, but they were stock.

Quote:

I would have never gotten mine in without jacking up the passenger side of the motor to put in the passenger side header.
Maybe your car had a clearance problem, but the cars that I've helped put them into didn't require jacking the motor.

Quote:

They may drop into a capri I dont know but a capri is not a mustang.

A Capri isn't a Mustang in 86????? Umm.. find a stock 86 Capri RS and look under the hood! Its exactly the same, since they are both Fox body cars and its a Mustang with different body panels. Same idea as a Firebird and Camaro, they're essentially the same mechanically just a few cosmetic changes.

All I'm trying to say is that the cars I've helped put EQUAL LENGTH SHORTIES on didn't require jacking the engine up at all. The only cars that needed it were for Full Length headers, that's all.

Now I do think this has gotten away from the original question. Basically check for clearance issues first, if none, then its a simple swap and doesn't require too much hassle. Hey Bowtie, let us know how is goes

[This message has been edited by 86GT (edited 08-17-2001).]
Old 08-17-2001, 10:36 AM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 86GT:

A Capri isn't a Mustang in 86????? Umm.. find a stock 86 Capri RS and look under the hood! Its exactly the same, since they are both Fox body cars and its a Mustang with different body panels. Same idea as a Firebird and Camaro, they're essentially the same mechanically just a few cosmetic changes.

All I'm trying to say is that the cars I've helped put EQUAL LENGTH SHORTIES on didn't require jacking the engine up at all. The only cars that needed it were for Full Length headers, that's all.
hmmm.... Well ok could itbe that verts have different motor mounts??

------------------
Old 08-17-2001, 12:02 PM   #11
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 HO:
hmmm.... Well ok could itbe that verts have different motor mounts??

Yes, the convertibles have different mounts. I'm not sure exactly the differences in the mounts but that could definitely cause some problems.