MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-09-2002, 09:52 PM   #1
Roket
Registered Member

Question holley intake install

I just changed my intake from a cobra to a holley systemax....everything was great with the cobra but when i installed the holley now i have blue smoke out the back when i start the car, and there is oil dripping from the underside of the throttlebody by the linkage...I have no idea why this is,. I changed the pcv valve but no luck. I was wondering if somehow the intake is sucking oil uop into it somehow and thats why i have oil dripping and blue smoke out the back. This never happened until i changed the intake so i know its not the valve guides or such. Any help guys?
Roket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 12:58 AM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

THere is a small fabric and steel screen thqat I believe is called a spark arrestor that goes into the hole where the PCV valve is and it's supposed to stop the oil from being sucked up into the pcv valve. . . .among other things. It also is supposed to prevent red hot pieces of metal and other niceties from entering the manifold. My Trick flow dod not come with this piece and I found out the same way you are. THis is a Ford item too.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 12:31 PM   #3
Roket
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MEDIK418
THere is a small fabric and steel screen thqat I believe is called a spark arrestor that goes into the hole where the PCV valve is and it's supposed to stop the oil from being sucked up into the pcv valve. . . .among other things. It also is supposed to prevent red hot pieces of metal and other niceties from entering the manifold. My Trick flow dod not come with this piece and I found out the same way you are. THis is a Ford item too.
Thats piece is still in there, but i didnt put the guide plate on it when i got the intake, do u think this is what it could be?
Old 11-10-2002, 01:44 PM   #4
RPM427
Registered Member

The EGR passage is external on the holley. It enters the upper intake "from the underside of the throttlebody by the linkage." You may have a bad egr valve or the spacer was installed inpoperly. Also, make sure the egr tube is installed correctly and all your gaskets were installed facing the right way. If the EGR spacer gasket was installed wrong, (gasket surface not clean enough, installed backward) The coolant passing through it will leak out into the intake along with some EGR crap making a milkshake type substance. Pull the intake tube off and open the TB and take a peek inside.

It seems like the EGR spacer was installed improperly, mainly the gaskets. Check 'em out.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 10:04 PM   #5
Roket
Registered Member

Default Figured it out

What i forgot to do was put the metal splash shield under the pcv valve on the underside of the lower intake n ow it doesnt smoke wheni start it anymore. Thanks for the suggestions.