MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-29-2001, 12:50 PM   #1
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Post More overheating ?s

Let me know what you think is going on? I had the Ron Davis aluminum radiator and 180 thermostat installed on Wed. I drove the car Thurs and alot on Fri. No overheating at all. The temperature reads between the A and L on the NORMAL in the gauge. I only got on it a few times as I'm not sure how good the gas would be after the car has been sitting for 2 months. I did see 4 to 5 lbs of boost a couple of times. I only got into it (not even WOT) so some boost would build after the car had been driven for about 30 mins just to see how the temperature would do. It never got above A. I went out this morning to move the car and decided that I would take a short drive. I added about 3 gallons of Turbo Blue last night with only 1/4 of a tank left in it. Anyway as soon as the idle dropped this morning I left on my drive. Went out in the country where I could get on it a little bit, but still not to WOT. Built 4 to 5 lbs of boost again and let off of it. I drive just a little further and happen to look down at the temperature gauge and its at the last white mark before the 270 mark. I pull off and lift the hood, the radiator's not even hot. I sat for about 15 mins and managed to get it back to the house. What's going on, can anyone help? Thanks
91GTturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 01:49 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Sounds like your thermostat stuck close. Was the big hose that goes the the thermostat housing hot?

Another posibility is that your temp sender is hosed. Does the temp climb up slowly or is it stuck there now?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 09-29-2001).]
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 02:03 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

I grabbed the hose several times to see if there was still any pressure on it and it was a little warm, not hot. I had somewhere to go after I got back to my house, so the temperature will be back to normal when I get back home (I'm not at home right now).
Old 09-30-2001, 10:37 AM   #4
LX5liter
dude5l

If your radiator was not hot then your thermostat is stuck closed. It is normal for the hose to get slidghtly warm due to engine heat transfer and the thermostat bleed hole does let some coolant circulate.

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 02:10 PM   #5
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try a new thermostat as soon as I can get one and I hope this is it, I'm tired of guessing.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:37 PM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I suggest while you're there get a new sending unit too, they're pretty cheap and the stock ones go bad eventually. Mine was doing weird temp things like that too, and the sender was the culprit! Good luck!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:45 AM   #7
1989_351W
Registered Member

What is the status on you pump? Sounds to me like it isn't working. An easy way to find out if it is your pump or stat, take your stat comepletely out and run it like that. If the engine stays cold it's your stat, if it still gets hot, then it's your water pump.

------------------
Michael Wigton
1989 351 Windsor
1964 1/2 Convertible
1989_351W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:57 PM   #8
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Well I bought a new 180 thermostat and installed it today. I drove the car this morning just to see what would happen. The temp stayed just were it was previously while driving. When I got back home I sat in the driveway for a few minutes and the temp started to rise and then you could see that the thermostat most have opened and the temp began to fall. I already had the new one and if the old one stuck once, it will do it again so I decided to change it. I drove it after the install with the temp between the M and the A which is slightly higher than before. I got into the boost some after a few minutes of driving and saw no change in the temp. I went back home and went inside for a few minutes, when I came back out antifreeze was all over the driveway. The coolant hose running into the turbo cracked, so I replaced it with a new one, refilled the radiator and left the car sitting the rest of the day as I didn't want to push my luck anymore today. I'll drive it more this week on short trips until I'm confident everythig is fine before I make any long trips.

[This message has been edited by 91GTturbo (edited 10-01-2001).]