MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2003, 09:23 AM   #21
Philossifer
Registered Member

82 GT,
I was wrong abour remapping the ECM but the procedure for setting the idle is different on Speed Density cars as opposed to Mass Air cars! The fact that you were able to set the idle was probably a fluke!

I'm glad it worked for you but just in case, here's the procedure if you have a problem in the future....

Sorry about the misunderstanding!
Phil

This is what PKRWUD wrote:

Pre-checks:

-Make sure the engine is warm, and the tranny is in Park or Neutral.

-E-brake on.

-Heater and accessories off.

-Throttle lever fully resting on the stop screw.

-Run a quick test, and make sure it passes. If it doesn't, correct
the problems, reset the ECM, and test again. Do this until it passes.

-Connect an accurate tach to the engine.

1. Reset the ECM.

2. Disconnect and plug vacuum at EGR.

3. Place a .025" feeler between the throttle lever and the stop
screw.

4. Start engine and run at 2500 rpm for 30 seconds.
a) If rpm too low, check the throttle plate for a plug.
b) If there is a plug from someone else, pull it.

5. Turn the stop screw to set the idle to 650 - 700 rpm.
a) If rpm is too high, shut off engine and remove the air cleaner
hose.

6. Block the plug hole in the throttle plate.
a) If there is no plug, hook up the hose from the air cleaner, and
check the rpm again.
b) If the engine stalls, open the throttle plate slightly with the
stop screw.
c) If the plate did have a plug, remove the throttle plate, and
install the correct plug (they're color coded in a kit available from Ford)

7. Recheck rpm to 650 - 700 rpm. Turn plate stop screw ONLY clockwise (the plate will likely stick if you turn it ccw).

8. Remove the feeler, turn the key OFF, restart, and allow to idle
for 2 minutes.

9. Engine off, and reset the ECM again.

10. Run KOEO Self Test. Look for TPS codes.

11. If no codes found, start engine, and run for 2 more minutes.
Goose the engine, and allow it to return to idle. Check the idle speed, and verify that the problem is solved.

The service kit with the go/nogo guage pegs used to check the plug size for the throttle plate is part number FOPZ-9F652-A
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:21 AM   #22
Mustanguy

Quote:
I was wrong about remapping the ECM but the procedure for setting the idle is different on Speed Density cars as opposed to Mass Air cars!
It's not any different,I and many others who own mustangs with 5.0 motors all have the same throttle bodies up to the year 93'
You have the same TPS sensor,You have the same throttle spring,throttle blade,Idle Air Bypass.They all have the same externals for setting the idle.

The mass air meter of a car does not have anything to do with setting a car's idle,it measures the air going into the motor and the computer adjusts the timing and fuel requirements for best performance,it has nothing to do with the settle the idle.Why do you think speed density cars idle WITHOUT a mass-air meter? Because the mass-air meter is NOT NEEDED to have a car idle,therefore you dont need to have 2 different procedures in order to adjust the idle on a mass-air car and speed density car. It's all done AT THE throttle body.

Case in point,here's a article that talks about adjusting the idle on the years of 86' to 93,nowhere again does it say it wont work with speed density because guess what it does

http://home.netcom.com/~skent/mustang/1990/idle.html

Ford did not switch to mass-air til 89 so this covers the years WITH speed density when setting the idle

Another source again with no mention of only working with mass-air
http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/idlereset.html

Like I said before,this method works for both speed density and mass-air and to call 82'GT's experience a fluke is funny as hell, because people use the same method for setting the idle on speed density and mass-air equipped cars.

If you doubt me so much,post on some other forums, you will have people adjusting their idle the same way whether it has mass-air or speed density,because having or not have a mass-air meter makes no difference when adjusting the idle.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:39 AM   #23
Philossifer
Registered Member

Mustanguy,
Thanks for making my point even clearer!!!!!!

Your first article clearly explains: The idle setting procedure for those of you that have superchargers and modified fuel systems with larger injectors and recalibrated MAF's. Speed Density cars don't do well with supercharges

Also, If you haven't noticed, Speed Density cars don't have MAF's (Mass Air Flow Meters) so anyone with half/a/brain can see this is only for Mass Air cars!

The second article starts by saying: Clear the EEC-IV's idle memory by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes.

Didn't you tell me that step wasn't necessary????

I'm really convinced you don't know what you're talking about because you keep changing the procedures to fit your needs.

This is going nowhere becuase you don't know the difference between an MAF or an MAP. Learn what these are and what they do and then you might be able to understand how the idle is indeed effected by them.

Sheeeeeeeeesh!
Phil

Last edited by Philossifer; 04-24-2003 at 07:50 AM..
Old 04-24-2003, 12:39 PM   #24
Mustanguy

Quote:
Speed Density cars don't do well with supercharges
Speed density can run with super chargers you idiot,they even make kits that run with speed density,another area you know nothing about,the reason I converted is because I already bought a mass-air conversion,otherwise I would have left it speed-density

I told you before,to ask other forums on how they set their idle,but you refuse to do so,if you did you'd see people set their idle the same as people with mass-air,

I'm done with you,your ****** stupid to understand what I'm trying to explain here
Old 04-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #25
Philossifer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustanguy
I told you before,to ask other forums on how they set their idle
Hey, ARE YOU DEAF, DUMB AND BLIND???

I asked one of the most informed persons on this site PKRWUD and he said the procedures are different!

You just can't read or can't see!
Good bye!
Phil
Old 04-28-2003, 02:30 PM   #26
82 GT
Import Slayer

I said I was going to post this subject on another message board and I did jus that.
Phil , you can take it for what it's worth but go check out the link below.
I'm beginning to wonder if PKRWUD really made that statement or not.
Either you just claimed he said that or PKRWUD is wrong for once, which is possible because he's only human but kind of hard to believe he's wrong about engines though.

http://www.50tech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2804
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:05 PM   #27
Philossifer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
I'm beginning to wonder if PKRWUD really made that statement or not.
82GT,
If you don't believe me (that I emailed PKRWUD) then I don't know what to tell you! I can't make you believe me!!!!!

Anyway, I did check out the link you posted and there was no "smoking-gun" there either! Out of three responses, the first said the procedure is the same, the second didn't really say much of anything and the third was way off base by saying "you cannot truly set idle speed because the computer is in control."

Again, I did email PKRWUD and he emailed me back.... I don't know how to prove it to you but I guess it doesn't matter at this point; it sounds like you wouldn't believe him anyway!
Later,
Phil