MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-29-2004, 05:05 AM   #1
surfsup
Registered Member

Default trying to wire my motor

I’m confused here if all I need is a hot wire for the ignition why does my 85gt carb motor have a computer with more wires then I know what to do with ok guys as you all know I’m swapping a 85 gt carb motor into my 92 2.3 made a few post on the wiring for help on what to do to get this thing to run had a few replies to guide me in the right direction. And according to some stuff I found all I need is a hot wire for the ignition, so why does my 85 gt carb have a computer with more wires then I know what to do with pulled the hole harness out thinking that maybe I could eliminate a lot of the wires but that it self was a total night mare and I still have a ton of wires that go directly to the plug for the computer, from the plug I have some wires stay under the hood but I have an bunch that go back through the fire wall that connect under the dash if any has done this swap please I’m begging for help here thanks
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Default Re: trying to wire my motor

What are you using to power your ignition? If you're using the module, then you need more than one wire. If you're using an MSD box, you can eliminate the module, but you will still have more than one wire. Who told you that you only needed one wire?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
surfsup
Registered Member

This web site http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/v8/v8.htm
that some one referred me to I have the motor in I don't know if I should wire this motor with the wiring from the 2.3 or splice the wiring from the donor car in you know everything has been a breeze so far but this wiring has me dumb founded] thanks oh I was going to use the durra spark that came with the donor unless you think an msd would be easier http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/v8/v8.htm
Old 11-30-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Just a guess,based on a brief browse of the page, but I would imagine the part causing confusion would be:
"Wiring Harness: For a carb'd car the only things necessary to have it run are compression, gas, and spark, everything else is extra. Same goes for the wiring harness - all you need is a hot wire to make the ignition work."

Generalization, i.e. it would be more accurate to say "All you need is a working ignition system and power running to it" This could be the stock system or an aftermarket module, but like Chris said, it'll be more than one wire. More like a "mini-harness".

I dont know the mid 80's models well, but in theory all you will need will be the stock ignition module and wiring to make the engine run. (and of course alt/starter wiring). I'm not including any bits related to gauges either. (are they mechanical or computer integrated for that year? Anybody?) You could go without those bits too, if your converting to mech gauges.

Did you already check out this part of the site?: http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/d.../duraspark.htm

Just my .02,

J

Sorry I'm being vague, but I'm halfway to bed right now,lol.
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:44 AM   #5
surfsup
Registered Member

This is what I’m going to try I’ll locate the ignition wires from the 92 (I have the manual for that) I have the wiring diagram from the one web site on how to wire the dura spark ignition and I’ll see what happens as far as running, I should be able to use the 2.3 harness for the acc, oil, temp, tac, alt,
Old 12-01-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Youll have a prob with the tach and the coolant I think, as both are run through the pcm and the tach also hooks into the 4cyl ignition module. I'm not sure about oil and fuel, they arent in the Haynes I have. They may be "modular" and work with either motor, but thats just a guess.
I dont know if you can bypass the ignition module and feed the duraspark into the pcm, but somehow I doubt it. You might need to run an aftermarket tach. Same with the gauges. Either that or use a 5.0 computer?

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful, I'm still learning the wiring side of things (along with everything else, ) . Anybody else?
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
surfsup
Registered Member

I have the computer from the 5.0 but I don’t think I can plug it into the 2.3 harness or can I??
Old 12-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

You're making this a whole lot harder than you need to. Making yourself crazy for nothing. Here's what I would do: Head over to ebay, you can get an MSD 6A, or 6AL for el cheapo. (6AL has a built in rev limiter, but the 6A is cheaper). If it doesn't come with wiring diagrams, www.msdignition.com has them online, or ask in here. Not hard to wire at all. And to boot, they work very well with the Duraspark. Actually the Duraspark is an excellent ditzy, until you get into high-end horsepower stuff.

Factory wiring from the car should work with the new Alt. and regulator. Just double check and make sure the wiring is on the correct side, if not make a new harness. Keep this one as short as possible.

Gauges should be OK with the factory harness, just make sure you use senders for the 5.0 With the factory tach, (assuming you'll be using the 5.0 coil) all you need to do is remove the gauge cluster, and there's a little rotary switch on the back of the tach labelled 4-6-8, you guessed it. Spin that sucker over to "8", and reinstall it.

That's the easiest way I know of man. I sold my MSD 6A on ebay for just over $75, so for a little cheddar, you can keep your sanity. Just make sure you have all the wires from the 2.3L cut/capped/sealed. Don't want any shorts causing you headaches in the future.

Good Luck!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

This is not as hard as it may sound. You need to get a duraspark module, and a duraspark distributor. You said it was a 85 motor so you should have the right distributor. Go to the parts store and get an ignition module for an 85 gt. It will be about $15-$20. There are two connectors by the master cylinder. One black and one gray. Hook up the battery and get a test meter. Now turn the ignition switch on and start piercing wires in the gray plug until you find one that has 12v with the switch on. On my 89, the wire is red with a light green stripe. Get a splice connector and hook it to the wire that you found. Run the wire from the splice connector to the red wire on the module. Find another wire that reads 12v while someone is turning the key to start, but reads zero when the key is on. This wire goes to the white wire on the durapark module. Run a wire from the negative side of the coil to the green wire on the module. The purple and orange wires go to purple and orange wires on the distributor and the black is a ground. I recommend you ground the module on it's own and ground the distributor to the block.

Or my other suggestion would be to buy msd as Jester already mentioned. IMO, the duraspark is just as easy as the msd.

Your fuel and alternator gauges will still work if you didn't mess with that part of the wiring. I would get aftermarket water and oil pressure gauges since the stock ones SUCK!

One more thing, you can use the 4cyl coil.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #10
Ieatcamaros

Check these out.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #11
surfsup
Registered Member

Hey guys thanks, your right I’m making this thing harder then it is, I guess when you know little about wiring it’s intimidating about the tac mine doesn’t have the switch it’s a 92 so I guess I’ll have to go to the junk yard and find a cluster from the 5.0 unless any one knows if there’s a box or relay for the tac that can be changed over .Something else I just thought of my alternator is different on the 85 it’s external regulator maybe I can change that I’m so close can’t wait to get this thing running the motor looks awesome sitting there instead of my 2.3 plus I think I’m doing real good for a 17 year old. Yes guys I’m 17 The kids at school are eating this thing up I’ll try and post some picks
Old 12-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #12
Ieatcamaros

You can use the v8 bracket with the 2.3 alternator.

17 is a good age to be wrenching on cars. I am just glad you are into a real muscle car instead of some riced out pos. Most car nuts started wrenching when they were kids. I have been turning wrenches on cars since I was 13. Naturally, I didn't get real big into cars until high school. Keep up the good work .
Old 12-04-2004, 08:48 AM   #13
surfsup
Registered Member

Yes I was defiantly born in the wrong era I love the muscle cars of the 50-60-early early 70”s well any way did some thinking and bought a Hanes manual 79-93 thinking that hey if I re pin the computer plug in the 2,3 to match the computer plug from the 85 I could then use the 2.3 harness plug the computer from the 85 into it and adapt it to my needs well wouldn’t you know the wiring schematic in the Hanes doesn’t match the wiring harness that I removed from the 85 you know I’m sure I’ll get it running but I know what’s going to happen the car won’t charge, a/c won’t work, gauges won’t work, and right now ( I can’t really afford after market gauges ) I don’t want to do a half ass job hear I take a lot of pride in my work, I have a few more things to do so tonight will be the big night I’ll keep you posted thanks everyone for all your help